Knotty Scooter 2WD

Chalz

1 W
1SideView.jpg

This is a picnic mobile. I can bring my wife, kid, food and fishing pole all around town.

View attachment 6

shop_front.jpg

I built the kickstand really strong so the bike can be used as a park bench and table when parked.

rear_veiw.jpg

shop-side.jpg

I had Hallomotor pre-wire the system so I would not have a head ache.

wire_mess.jpg

I cannot figure out how to remove the speed limiter from this. The LCD panel will not set the controllers for any more than 24mph. It will set the controllers for less, but not more. At 24 mph this bike is only using 300W. It will do 24mph when lifted off the ground in place with no wind resistance and the same 24mph with two adults and four kids on it. It has two each of these batteries, hub motors, and controllers.

Batteries
http://www.hallomotor.com/2015-latest-48v-23-2ah-panasonic-cell-ncr18650pf-seat-tube-li-ion-battery-with-slim-aluminium-case-charger-and-bms.html?acc=e369853df766fa44e1ed0ff613f563bd

Controllers
http://www.hallomotor.com/48v-1000w-brushless-dc-sine-wave-ebike-controller-regenerative-function.html?acc=e369853df766fa44e1ed0ff613f563bd

LCD panel
http://www.hallomotor.com/24v-36v-48v-ebike-intelligent-lcd-panel-lcd-display-for-our-sine-wave-controller.html?acc=e369853df766fa44e1ed0ff613f563bd

Hub Motors
http://www.hallomotor.com/2015-new-style-black-48v-1000w-brushless-gearless-cassette-hub-motor-for-rear-wheel-ebike.html?acc=e369853df766fa44e1ed0ff613f563bd

Do any of you people know how to take the speed limiter off? Do I need a Cycle Analyst, or buy some new controllers? What gives? The fine people at Hallomotor have not been able to help me yet. I am awaiting there response. They have helped solve issues in the past, so I hope they can this time- or maybe someone out there? anybody?

Attachments

• Badass.jpg
    Badass.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 6,247
2WD? Niiiice! This is the ebike of the apocalypse.

I love the organic composite skin, also used on the de Havilland DH.98 Mosquito

Check to see if there is a way to take the 16-inch wheel system and convince the computer that it is a 12-inch wheel system. Normally, I don't like to lie to computers, but...in this case it may fix the problem until a better solution can be found. Doing this (if it even works) will also mean the speedometer will not work (it will read a lower speed than you are actually going).

I don't know that system specifically, but some systems are programmed in the controller itself as a hard speed limit that can't be changed.

Some have a wire that can be cut or soldered or plugged or unplugged to remove the limit, and some don't.

If the vendor doesn't have any specific info on how to change this, it may not be possible, or it might just require experimentation (possibly opening up the controller to see what the pads are labelled, and if there is any info on ES about that unit or one similar enough to make an educated guess.

You could look at the wires, and see if any of them don't connect up to external devices (battery, throttle, motor phase/halls, ebrake, LCD, etc). Then list those (if any) and show them in a pic and maybe we can make a guess what they might be.

Might need voltage measurements or opening up controller to check what pads they go to, etc., before you could try just hooking htem up somewhere, though. ;)

If you're not comfortable with the opening-up or measurements/etc., then once I'm done helping Cvin with that bike, I can help you with yours.

I am thinking my speed issue is the Kv rating of these hub motors. Barent Hoffman of Kinaye Motorsports was the first to suggest this could be the problem. I brought that up to the supplier who agreed. Kv is the relationship between motor speed and generated back-emf, also referred to as RPM/Volt of an unloaded motor. I have a fairly good back ground in electronics, but this on is new to me. I'm posting it so it may help someone else out there. My motor is rated for 480 rpm and I use 48 V so my Kv is rating is 10. By the formula and rules of inductance, the only way this bike will go faster is to increase the voltage. So I'm stuck at 24 mph. I could look at that like a blessing. It is a little crazy to want to go really fast while riding a park bench. So the mystery is solved...

What an awesome creation Chalz. Love the pic with you and your daughter, very cool.

Chalz said:
I am thinking my speed issue is the Kv rating of these hub motors.
That might be part of it, but it is not all of it. You say here:

The LCD panel will not set the controllers for any more than 24mph. It will set the controllers for less, but not more. At 24 mph this bike is only using 300W. It will do 24mph when lifted off the ground in place with no wind resistance and the same 24mph with two adults and four kids on it.

that with and without a load it goes the same max speed, which means that it is being speed limited by your controller, regardless of the motor kV.

That means that while changing which motor kV is used would change the speed, it is not really the reason for the speed limit.

If it were just the kV, then it would spin faster without the load on it than while heavily loaded down.

Also, this part:
At 24 mph this bike is only using 300W.
seems like there might be some issue with the settings for power monitoring; my CrazyBike2 which probably has about the same aerodynamics/etc takes more than that just to maintain 20MPH. We can verify this using a different wattmeter; if you are using Anderson PP45s or SB50s on the battery connection we can just plug in the meter directly, otherwise I'll have to do a makehift adapter cable for my meter to your connectors.

Amberwolf,

That 300W at 24mph must be for one controller, as I just have one LCD. I have two controllers and two hub motors, so it's a total of 600W for the 24 mph, I think.

I'm not using andersons for connectors. The are those yellow connectors in the image.

I would love to be wrong about the Kv theory.

I'll take the controller apart and post images of the guts this weekend. It might be nice just to get together and talk shop, since we are both in Phoenix. I also built this bike, which takes the same batteries.

http://craftzman.blogspot.com/

Fingers,
Glad you like the kick stand. I day dreamed about that for weeks. My goal with this build was to just get hill billy silly, and make people smile... :D

Nice build!

Chalz said:
That 300W at 24mph must be for one controller, as I just have one LCD. I have two controllers and two hub motors, so it's a total of 600W for the 24 mph, I think.
That would make more sense; sounds about right.

I'll take the controller apart and post images of the guts this weekend. It might be nice just to get together and talk shop, since we are both in Phoenix.
I"m generally free on weekends, except this saturday i gotta work the closing shift. Im also wiating on Cvin to get the rest of the stuff for that bike, so I can install and set it up--if it comes in this week then I'm not free at all this weekend. If not, then I'd be free on Sunday if you wanna meet up somewhere (I'm in the Metrocenter mall area).

I also built this bike, which takes the same batteries.
http://craftzman.blogspot.com/
That's a lot of work there...more than I ever end up with time for these days. I end up hacking things together that already do part of what I want just cuz it saves me some hours of work.

Looks like you're also a much better welder than I am--my welds don't break but they aren't pretty. ;)

Chalz said:
This is a picnic mobile. I can bring my wife, kid, food and fishing pole all around town.

Be-auty! I love it!

I can see it being a bench or a picnic table, but not both. How does that work?
Does it float too, for fishing off of it? ;)

Sorry, but I might have to copy your kickstand for my Box-E-Lady build, if I ever get back to finishing it!

It's doing well, Thanks for asking Amberwolf. I made a padded box in the center of the bike to hold refreshments, and I added a hinged brace to hold up the side panel as a table. I got some new headlights and tail lights to install next, images to come.

I also took a picture of inside the controller, in case somebody knew how to make it go faster....

Inside_Controller2.JPG

Ya, It's a couple of years old and I still use it all the time. It's a hit with my daughter :)
My other bike is also doing fine. We should meet up one of these days.

scooter3.jpg

looks like she loves the ride and hates the camera. :)

i'm off this whole week thru weekend so if you're free somtime i could meet up.

Back