Emmo Urban/Kiwi E-bike/Daymak Torino upgrade

smeagol222

100 W
Here is my first project. Bought a cheap crap e-scooter to upgrade Kiwi E-bike (clone of Emmo Urban, Daymak Torino)
Thanks to electricgod and mistercrash for your advice on other threads
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=79964
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79275

I use this little bike all the time around the city, fastest I've seen going down a hill is 55km/hr. I think the speedo might be off slightly (about 5km/hr difference to GPS) I set it to 16" wheel size. Avg speeds around 40-45km/hr which is fine.

The wiring was the hardest part, I should have left the connectors on and tested and labeled with multimeter continuity. I was a goof hooking up two 6v batteries and a LED blinker light testing circuits.
Now onto more serious project 72v QS 7kw 100a https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=85164

Heres the parts I used
- New hub wheel 1500w rated (3kw peak)
- 45a 48v controller (modified shunt)
- 48v 30ah triangle battery
- Wolo 419 Air horn
- 2x 18w Front LED lights
- LED strips & indicators, brake light
- 10 AWG battery wire, 45a anderson powerpole connectors
- LCD screen from old ebike aliexpress kit
- Front all light flasher
- Alarm with flashing lights

jlt2eGol.jpg

CqnGBYvl.jpg

NVtR1Oxl.jpg

DinIi42l.jpg

NQHhY9al.jpg

ju5RRDil.jpg

d9tkR4Vl.jpg

lTrXtC4l.jpg

zr5jUk0l.jpg

LNEoLWfl.jpg

LhWCLw0l.jpg

05ftpa1l.jpg

SOoOjtJl.jpg

ls40F0Al.jpg

9dXMhDIl.jpg

oG3Sg0Vl.jpg

LQtEhDPl.jpg

Co4fayDl.jpg

Zqvfotal.jpg

lDrHKYyl.jpg

QkxSITAl.jpg

MGV8QMql.jpg

l1SemA6l.jpg

bAZcMP8l.jpg

a9rwxAal.jpg

280Jn4Rl.jpg

QJzLtlnl.jpg

JXlFXDsl.jpg

Lb7OjdJl.jpg

aqvUPwyl.jpg

C9Q9FUvl.jpg

jHHTrSel.jpg

MGRn4Czl.jpg

rNUoMCnl.jpg

tjvLLWUl.jpg

tW017AWl.jpg

BesUvJ0l.jpg

mlsGFO9l.jpg

2xyxt6Jl.jpg

CmTY8RJl.jpg

2G4HYJml.jpg

NvpJu4Nl.jpg

4cwVB8wl.jpg

mZ21oTSl.jpg

YNmJVIjl.jpg

BOXgxaAl.jpg

Q2OxmOzl.jpg

yEUB8yPl.jpg

w61iIOKl.jpg

UNd6601l.jpg

r9Nk2VNl.jpg

5Jh9X6Fl.jpg

uwU3fCil.jpg

9zixAYBl.jpg

MOxWQeyl.jpg

LKgqZdyl.jpg

SRbFoP9l.jpg

WgXpYtbl.jpg

mQjvCW8l.jpg

9JfeWvQl.jpg

Hi,
I just bought a similar scooter, nice mod! good show!
I am trying to sent you a pm here.. but maybe it didn't work?
I'll try again later.

I got your message yes. That sucks you're ebike doesn't work. I would suggesting taking it apart and testing the circuit with a multimeter. If the bike doesn't run, it could be a number of different things- motor burnt out, controller defecting, twist throttle, a wire loose etc.

I have some old parts (controller and old hub wheel) but I cannot post them to Montreal.

I'm assuming you got the bike quite cheap (since its not running) I would suggest perhaps just buying a new hub motor wheel and controller (perhaps lithium battery also)
This is the hub motor wheel I got
https://goo.gl/CREKxP

Before I bought the wheel I contacted Kevin and asked him to "wind for torque" for more powerful takeoff and slower top speed (45-50km/hr), but it might have just been the standard one.

I used controller and battery from this kit
https://goo.gl/f5VhSd

or you could get it separately - this looks like almost the same one and comes with LCD display (putting it into existing one is a bit of a pain)
https://goo.gl/fXJsya

G'day!

I'm in BC with a friend of mine, and we're fixing up an Emmo just like yours! The motor or speed controller (we're not sure which) have died, and we've ordered a Motor and speed controller through Kevin just like you did!
The controller is 40A (with a 50A maximum) at 48v
The motor is similar to the one you used, 1500W, black instead of green stripe, arrives in couple days.

The issue we're having is our batteries. You say you used a 20Ah battery to run your scooter once it was all put back together? N?o problems?

We've been trying to run another scooter with a similar controller/motor setup, but we can't seem to deliver the required amperage and everything gets hot/dangerous feeling.

One battery is a 48V 20AH, with circular green lithium cells and a BMS that cuts it off somewhere around 25/30A discharge
the other battery is a black-cased, no-name Lithium with the plate style/soft cells. It came with the bike and slides in underneath the seat. We don't have accurate Ah or discharge ratings, though my guess is 14Ah - the BMS (if it exists) doesn't seem to cut off at any particular current, which is a concern because at 50A it's gonna get pretty hot by itself.

We're wondering if it's possible to run these two batteries in parallel with the new parts - not really for the runtime factor, but more to evenly distribute the amperage between the batteries. E.g. instead of 40-50amps out of one battery, in parallel we'd be drawing 20-25amps each out of two batteries? Would this work?
I assume if they are different Ah ratings, then one is going to discharge completely before the other, and that's where we run into problems, as one battery will die and the other will be taking the full amp load at that point?

Let me know if you can shed a little light! And AWESOME restore job :)

Thanks
Jack S

Look forward to seeing your project come along- you should make a post on the forum.

Yeah I used to run a generic Aliexpress brand 20ah 48v battery (pretty sure peak discharge was like 30a or something). Now I use a 30ah generic 48v Aliexpress battery- around the same specs.

I think they will be pushing the limit of the controller. I also tested a 52v 6ah "mighty mini" from Lunacycle made using Samsung 30q cells. The performance felt exactly the same, if have modded the shunt but using some extra solder to make it thicker. This gives a great amount of torque (which is what I wanted) you have to be careful since the front wheel sometimes lifts off the ground.

The only real way to know exactly what you're getting a lithium battery is to build it yourself. Making sure your cells can handle the peak and continuous levels your controller and wheel need.

If you want to use the 2 batteries why not use just one at a time? or you could break both open and build a big battery out of both the smaller ones. I'm not sure if it would be a good idea to mix flat Li-ion with 18650.

You could just harvest the 18650 cells (perhaps there might be some dead cells in there), identify the cells (to see what peak and cont. amps they're capable of), sort them into groups of equal mAh. Buy more cells or havest from laptop batteries. Then you just need to buy a BMS from Aliexpress for like $40

smeagol222 said:
Look forward to seeing your project come along- you should make a post on the forum.

Yeah I used to run a generic Aliexpress brand 20ah 48v battery (pretty sure peak discharge was like 30a or something). Now I use a 30ah generic 48v Aliexpress battery- around the same specs.

I think they will be pushing the limit of the controller. I also tested a 52v 6ah "mighty mini" from Lunacycle made using Samsung 30q cells. The performance felt exactly the same, if have modded the shunt but using some extra solder to make it thicker. This gives a great amount of torque (which is what I wanted) you have to be careful since the front wheel sometimes lifts off the ground.

The only real way to know exactly what you're getting a lithium battery is to build it yourself. Making sure your cells can handle the peak and continuous levels your controller and wheel need.

If you want to use the 2 batteries why not use just one at a time? or you could break both open and build a big battery out of both the smaller ones. I'm not sure if it would be a good idea to mix flat Li-ion with 18650.

You could just harvest the 18650 cells (perhaps there might be some dead cells in there), identify the cells (to see what peak and cont. amps they're capable of), sort them into groups of equal mAh. Buy more cells or havest from laptop batteries. Then you just need to buy a BMS from Aliexpress for like $40

Thanks for the response and info!
We're going to build a pack from the 18650's like you suggested

in the meantime we're also having wiring issues! Sent you a PM if you have the time :)

Cheers

One thing to note as a word of caution to others, the Emmo Urban unlike the kiwi, Torino, and sprinter (the other 3 bikes I have played with) has 18" wheels, which severely limits the available motor choice as I have found out. Luckily a friend is happy to trade his wheels and worn out tires for my relatively good tired emmo ones. Which makes me wonder also how the controller supplies the feed for speed, I presume wheelsize is preprogrammed from the factory, but generic controllers host anything from 8 inch motors to 26" rims. Not a problem if your going to a Lyen type controller.

Thanks for sharing this awesome post! I have a similar e bike but my battery has been stolen. The store where I bought the scooter, sells it for 1200$ cad and it’s really over my budget.

You mention that you now use `a 30ah generic 48v Aliexpress battery`. Since I don’t have much knowledge of what exactly I should take, would you have a link to the battery you’ve bought?

Thanks so much!

Back