I finally finished the battery, needles to say it wasn’t as easy as I hoped for.
After some research I ordered all the parts I needed, battery spot welder included. After a couple weeks of waiting patiently for the parts to arrive, I started thinking about how to go about building the battery pack. Soon, I discovered that the the welder was not up to the task. First, the switch to start welding was inside the machine and worked by pushing the welding electrodes and the whole battery upwards. Second, the arms holding the electrodes were to short to reach the middle of my 5-row battery.
So I started rebuilding the spot welder to my requirements. I replaced the switch with a manual one so I could set up the welding position and battery leads so I could weld stationary without having to move the battery upwards. After that I ordered and machined some hexagon brass bar and build extensions for the arms. Because the arms were longer I also needed to replace the springs for stronger ones. Finally I mounted a foot plate so that I didn’t need to strap the spot welder to the table because of the pressure from the arms.
As I getting ready to finally start building the battery I discovered that the welder wouldn’t go over 30% without blowing the fuse the 16A fuse of my house, dang. Luckily the main fuse was 40A and changing the group fuse for a 25A fuse did the trick.
What I found out is that building the battery itself was one of the easiest things and it took me just one afternoon.
Once upon a time,my phone fell into the toilet, and this is the only picture I have left of building the spot welder.
I didn't want to solder the BMS leads on top of the cells because of heat getting into the cell and damaging it. That's why I left these small attachments.
Splicing and extending the BMS wires.
All that's left now is to cut some soft shock protection material for around the battery and heat shrink it.
I hope you guys enjoyed it