Electrohodaka Electric Hodaka Conversion

Show off your E-Scooter or Motorcycle creation here.
Tomcat
1 µW
1 µW

Post by Tomcat » Apr 05, 2018 7:21 pm

Starting my first ES thread!
Thank you to the ES Community for being here.

I am building an electric moped conversion using the HPM3000B golden motor and a 1969 Hodaka Ace 90 Frame.
I will be using a Kelly controller purchased from AMP an ES member. Currently I have almost completed the rolling frame chassis. All of the parts came individually from e bay and I am assembling them piece by piece. I am trying to find a proper 420 chain sprocket to fit the Golden Motor HPM3000B 20mm shaft with a key.

The next major step will be doing to wiring diagrams and systems. I would like to use a DC-DC converter to run 12 Volt headlights and signals. The end goal is to be able to use this on the road in Washington State as a moped with a license plate. I realize that this frame is very heavy compared to new efficient aluminum design, lighter rims and lighter weight forks. I do not have access to frame fabrication equipment, so I decided to do a conversion. I estimate roughly that this will have a very limited range, due to vehicle weight. Also making it road legal may not be possible. I am really enjoying the build so far.

Last edited by Tomcat on Apr 09, 2018 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Raisedeyebrows
1 kW
1 kW

Re: Electrohodaka Electric Hodaka Conversion

Post by Raisedeyebrows » Apr 05, 2018 11:14 pm

Cool build there, the stuff here on ES never ceases to amaze me. I will try to watch this one, used to ride Hodaka Dirt Squirt 100 and then Super Rat 100 model. Local shop sold them, I remember the prices well, $449.00 for the Dirt Squirt and $499.00 for the Super Rat (which was actually a pretty hot little bike), that was a lot of paper route money back in those days! They are sort of a cult collectors item now, heard there's even some kind of Hodaka convention every year where they get together and show them off and swap parts and stuff. Good luck with the project.
Yuba Mundo w/BBSHD
Specialized Hard Rock w/9c clone, statoraid, hubsink
Trek Fuel 90 w/BBSHD
Above all run on 14s4p 52v li-ion
Ecobike folder 36v
Currie Flyer scooter 24v on 24ah of SLA

Tomcat
1 µW
1 µW

Post by Tomcat » Apr 16, 2018 8:44 pm

Still working on finding a 20mm sprocket for a 420 Motorcycle chain. I contacted Golden Motor through their online support and they said that they do not provide any support for finding or purchasing sprockets. They would not answer even the size of the key stock needed. I found an approximation on the mechanical drawings they provided (5mm). They also said that they only provide the motors and controllers. Its disappointing because they show multiple electric motorcycles on their website. I am going to see if I can get something machined in my area. I can weld, but I still would have to machine out a sprocket. All of the 420 Chain sprockets have a smaller than 20mm inner diameter. I will post my findings here.

torker
1 MW
1 MW

Re: Electrohodaka Electric Hodaka Conversion

Post by torker » Apr 16, 2018 9:05 pm

I wonder if you could have an adapter machined and run many different sprockets?
Dave When I die I want to slide in sideways yelling WooHoo what a ride !

Giant Rincon w rear 9C 6*10 10s Lipo 30+ amps
Specialized FSR Comp 9C 6*10 15s x 50A 3300 W :)
http://s18.photobucket.com/user/rolinfu ... t=3&page=1