John's HubMonster powered MadAss hits 182kph (113mph)

John in CR

100 TW
I finally got around to a top speed run with my Sachs MadAss 125cc conversion. Despite the overly heavy parts off of the MadAss, especially the entire front end, that put my total build weight at just over 100kg carrying only a 115V 26ah nominal battery, I was able to hit 182kph (113mph), improving my previous top speed of 172kph, making it as far as I know the fastest hubmotor powered street legal ebike in the world. Sure Rovii ran faster, but that was with a 1/4 specific build using a motor that weighed 3 times as much, which he burned up in less than 10km. My motor has been in service since 2012, and rarely gets above 70°C and never above 90°C, since I build for real world use and absolute reliability. I got pretty good quality video (front and rear views) of the run and also did a walk around clip, but I have to wait for my video editor to get back from the beach before I can upload them.

I quite pleased, since I hit the speed I expected after going from 30s to 31s and a slightly larger diameter tire on the motor. To get there I also bumped up the battery side current limit on the controllers and drew peak amps of 278A with a minimum voltage of about 115V for almost 32kw stuffed into the motor.

In the meantime, here's a pic I had in my computer that will have to do for now.
MadAss sml.JPG

Beautiful beastly machine my friend!!! Woot!!!

What an accomplishment to hit those speeds! :bigthumb: :bolt: :mrgreen: :twisted: 8)

Thanks guys. This is the first build I've spent beautification time on, so it came out passable. Plus I learned more do's and don't, which is what really matters. I have to fab another fiberglass underbelly for rain proofing and she's ready for long-term use.

All I need is something more aero, and then I can use the 16" rim I modded to fit a HubMonster and I can pass Rovii's top speed. I don't want to go any faster on my eMadAss. It got a bit squirrelly around the top end. I don't know if it's something uneven on my bars, the big brake caliper hanging off one side, or the front fender which isn't quite true to the tire...but that bike isn't meant to go that fast. I don't ride very fast, so the bike works great for me. I waited until the lowest traffic day of the year to have as little traffic as possible to do a speed run to video for you guys.

Congrats to your new top speed record.
For sure, you need aero to go easily faster. It will help a lot!
I wish you good luck and hope you will beat it but be careful and wear at minimum motorcycle clothes (stuff).

Back