System downtime on 11/18/2020

This section will contain posting guidelines for the forum along with any other information that is relevant to this forum.
neptronix   100 GW

100 GW

System downtime on 11/18/2020

Post by neptronix » Nov 18 2020 6:53pm

Well that was a white knuckle moment!
Amazon bricked the bootloader of our server after an update and i had to pull the disk and reconstruct the system.
Amazon's disk performance limits meant that this reconstruction took about 5 times longer than it should have while copying files.

I have to say i am not pleased with amazon right now and will not be updating the server or even rebooting it until we move away from this host.

Sorry for the interruption. I got us back up as fast as possible.
"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them, humanity cannot survive." - Dalai Lama

My first major build: 1.6kW 8T MAC motor on a Trek 4500.
The new all-arounder: Leafmotor 1500w @ 4kW on a Turner O2 full suspension.
The monster scooter: 20" eZee on a Cannondale Semi Recumbent.
Whipper-snapper: ? on a lightweight BikeE Semi Recumbent

MJSfoto1956   100 kW

100 kW

Re: System downtime on 11/18/2020

Post by MJSfoto1956 » Nov 18 2020 9:12pm

Oracle Cloud Infrastructure is likely much cheaper than Amazon -- especially for data storage.
Pretty much everything you need is there.
A little more "technical" than Amazon though.

M
"Will you shut (TF) up, man?"

QANON is a sick cult: https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/cu ... e-1064076/

neptronix   100 GW

100 GW

Re: System downtime on 11/18/2020

Post by neptronix » Nov 21 2020 11:43am

Thanks for the tip. I didn't even know that Oracle did cloud hosting. It does look more like they're oriented towards larger organizations, but i like the modularity of their offerings. And pricing. Will keep that in mind. :)

I've had clients on AWS since 2015. It's been a super smooth ride with AWS until this year. I think they are not extensively testing their custom patches to mysql and the linux kernel. This year, i've had to rescue two machines from an unbootable state, and had a remote database that had redundancy go down for over an hour with no explanation. I had to pay for Amazon's tech support in order to ask why the database went down. The answer i received came very late and they blamed me for the outage, despite all evidence showing the problem was at their datacenter.

I think AWS has gotten cocky because they have a majority marketshare over web hosting lately.

Anyway between moving to another host soonish, upgrading to the latest php3.2.x branch, and also implementing some pretty badass anti-DDOS techniques i've been trialing on 2 other clients' servers, ES should see unprecedented levels of stability.

There are some bigger tricks up my sleeve for 2021 :thumb:
"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them, humanity cannot survive." - Dalai Lama

My first major build: 1.6kW 8T MAC motor on a Trek 4500.
The new all-arounder: Leafmotor 1500w @ 4kW on a Turner O2 full suspension.
The monster scooter: 20" eZee on a Cannondale Semi Recumbent.
Whipper-snapper: ? on a lightweight BikeE Semi Recumbent