Move to XenForo software

This section will contain posting guidelines for the forum along with any other information that is relevant to this forum.
Dui, ni shuo de dui   10 kW

10 kW

Re: Move to XenForo software

Post by Dui, ni shuo de dui » Dec 24 2021 12:21pm

neptronix wrote:
Dec 24 2021 10:13am
Dui, ni shuo de dui wrote:
Dec 24 2021 1:34am
Do we have any idea when these updates will be deployed? As someone stated earlier it doesn't matter if things aren't perfect or if it's ugly (current version of the forum isn't particularily eyes pleasing to begin with so that's really not a problem :wink: ). Only thing that really matters, at least to me, is that we don't lose threads or pictures. Really hope it'll be for soon!
No date yet, but soonish. Much more soon than ~7 years ago when we went looking for the ultimate platform, but only discovered one technologically advanced enough to pull off something like what we envisioned last year.

Don't worry, i've put in around 70 hours of work to ensure we don't end up with 'forum transition artifacts' and also looking through datasets for hours to confirm that these fixes work to at least 99.5% accuracy.

The youtube embed tag translator is more than 100% accurate because it fixes many tags that weren't showing up in phpbb due to a mistype. It was specifically designed as such. There is another process i've yet to undertake which restores some very old corrupt images to an imperfect, but viewable state.

So the stuff that really matters doesn't get lost.

The only thing that i know we lose is:

Per-post thread titles. ( no modern forum system has this feature, and it's rarely used, and creates plenty of visual clutter )
Image captions. ( not in most forum software, and it's rarely used )

I tried to wean people off these features years ago but there was a weapons-grade tantrum thrown over it. I believe the image captions remain as alt text, so the data is either still there, or can be imported and potentially displayed the same way. But the per-post thread titles are going to be a 100% loss.

We hope the upsides of this move far outweigh any downsides at the end of the day.
This would totally deserve a like. :thumb:
:wink:
Merry Christmas, thanks for the great work
:bolt: New Build in Progress: Electric Roadster, 30 000W Kelly KLS72701, 24S2P A123 cells :bolt:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=109246

:bolt: My electric Ninja 250 clone: 16 000W Sabvoton 72200 Unlocked, 23S2P A123 cells : :bolt:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=90032

:bolt: My electric Scooter: 16 000W Sabvoton 72200 Unlocked, 72V 20Ah 24S1P A123 cells: :bolt:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=75912

neptronix   100 GW

100 GW

Post by neptronix » Jan 02 2022 4:07pm

Thank you, kind sir!

Next steps at this point:
1) Work with Justin and his designer for an improved color scheme/aesthetic.
2) Install and test all of those Xenforo plugins.
3) Get the sticky posts copier written.
4) Moderator and user feedback/review stage.
5) Set the release date :shock:
"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them, humanity cannot survive." - Dalai Lama

My first major build: 1.6kW 8T MAC motor on a Trek 4500 MTB.
Monster MTB: Leafmotor 1500w @ 4kW on a Turner O2 full suspension.
The monster scooter: Cannondale semi recumbent - under construction.
Blue Dream: Maxaraya FS semi recumbent and high efficiency mid-drive - under construction.

amberwolf   100 GW

100 GW
Location: Phoenix, AZ, USA, Earth, Sol, Local Bubble, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group

Post by amberwolf » Jan 13 2022 2:19am

Suggestion for spam control, if possible, since there are up to several per month (with occasional waves of more, sometimes many more) of each of these types of spammers:

To catch latent-spammers that post "normally" and then edit their posts later (sometimes months or more!) to stick the spam in, sometimes completely replacing their original post with spam:

Whenever edits occur to posts, especially for low-post-count members that signed up within the last year (yes, some latent spammers wait that long to add their spam!), a forum module (script? dunno) runs these checks:

--was a URL added?
--was a significant (>10%?) of the post content changed? (requires some form of auto-comparison of text of original post vs edited post; should be possible, don't know how hard).

If any check "fails" (returns a positive), the post is "reported" so a moderator can check it to see if it is a spammer or just a normal edit.

This will turn up most of the latent spammers that actually post.

A test can also be done to catch latent spammers that only put SEO stuff in their profile, but it requires a periodic comparison of old profiles to new profiles, which requires caching all profiles (for some time period, say 1 year), and comparing them say, monthly, to the present profile version. Any changes will be flagged for a moderator to check.

Some other things that will help prevent the posting of certain noob member spammers that only post one thing, or never post, is to only allow posting of links in either profile or posts after say, 5 posts. That would prevent a very large (>50%, possibly more) of spammers from ever posting any spam, and inconvenience few members.

If that's not acceptable due to affecting "real" members, then simply flagging a mod to
approve a post or profile with a link in it before it appears (and notifying the member when they hit the submit button for the post that this is going to happen), will still let real noobs post links if they need to, and let us prevent spammers from doing so, without accidentally having some automated spam-prevention filter nuke a real post or real member. .

Personally, I'd rather have to wade thru a stack of "reported posts" and determine real/spam than have to dig thru literally everything that gets posted (by noobs anyway) every day, and periodically everything that has been posted (by noobs) for months, to check for this kind of spam. ;) (which is the way I have to do it right now, and have had to for as long as I've been doing this)
If you found this advice helpful, supporting contributions are accepted here. Presently on unpaid medical leave of indeterminate length.

See here for Details: Beginning of a New Life

neptronix   100 GW

100 GW

Post by neptronix » Jan 13 2022 4:19pm

Xenforo has super advanced spam control features. Let's just try those and move from there. PHPbb basically has none, compared :lol:
"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them, humanity cannot survive." - Dalai Lama

My first major build: 1.6kW 8T MAC motor on a Trek 4500 MTB.
Monster MTB: Leafmotor 1500w @ 4kW on a Turner O2 full suspension.
The monster scooter: Cannondale semi recumbent - under construction.
Blue Dream: Maxaraya FS semi recumbent and high efficiency mid-drive - under construction.