Using endless sphere if you have low vision or a 4k monitor that makes ya squint.

neptronix

Administrator
Staff member
This post was written with amberwolf in mind but anyone else with vision problems would appreciate it very much, i'm sure!

Download the 'User CSS' addon for google chrome and install it.
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/user-css/okpjlejfhacmgjkmknjhadmkdbcldfcb?hl=en

Click the 'user css' icon to open the plugin.

2020-12-02 17_53_45-X__Business_Clients - Web_ebikes.ca.png

Insert this code into the box:

Code:
.content{ font-size:16px !important; }
p { font-size: 14px !important; }
ul.topiclist { font-size: 11px !important; }
.tab { font-size: 12px !important; }
input { font-size: 14px !important; }
textarea { font-size: 16px !important; }
.postbody .author {font-weight:bold !important;}
.postprofile a, .postprofile dd { font-size: 14px !important; }
.post-buttons { top:0px; }
.panel dd, .panel dt { font-size: 14px; }

/* optional - increases some contrast */
.bg2 { background-color: #fffffa !important; }
.bg1 { background-color: #f2f8fc !important; }
.icon, .button .icon{ color:#000; }

/* optional - frees up screen space.*/
.body { padding:0px !important; }
.postbody h3{ display:none;}
.signature{ display:none; }
.wrap { padding:7px; margin:0 auto; }

Endless sphere will now have significantly bigger fonts, and more space for those fonts to reside.

2020-12-02 17_55_10-(92) Adding pictures_ - Endless Sphere.png

This can be adjusted to taste.
It does not cover 100% of phpbb's fonts, but it will help you in a majority of areas. :)

This plugin will boost fonts across the entire site. It remembers the code you inserted on a per domain basis. So it can be used in addition to the google chrome inspector, with a little knowledge of CSS code, pretty much everywhere else.

I appreciate the work done for this.

However, since I use firefox 63.0.3 (64-bit) (because I have many customizations via other addons to remove crap that's in the way on many websites, including ES), not chrome, I tried a couple ways to make it work, but couldn't get it to work as expected/described. Note that I am not using hte default theme of ES either; I'm using the SE Square Left (closest thing there is to Subsilver)

I tried this page:
https://davidwalsh.name/firefox-user-stylesheet
and this addon:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/styl-us/
I'll play with it more as I have time to see if I can make it work, and post the steps I used if I get it working..

EDIT: By "working" I mean it doesnt' change any font sizes. It does increase the spacing between lines of text, which isn't helpful, as it fits less stuff on screen (there is already too much wasted space).

It *does* remove some of the less-useful screen elements, like the redundant thread titles in every post, but those are actually useful in some situations, and in some threads they are used to subtitle posts to make certain posts easier to find. As long as whatever addon one uses to utilize this CSS allows quick live disable/enable of each, then that is a useful thing.

HOwever, in doing it, it expands the wasted space around the text of the posts, fitting even less text on screen.

Another thing it does that could be helpful to some (but is not to me) is to disable the shading on some posts, which increases the contrast between those posts and the next ones, but it makes the background too bright on the posts it takes the shading away from.

One thing that would be *really* useful is if it would horizontally expand the used area of all pages to fill the browser, instead of just using a relatively narrow stripe down the middle of the browser. (the space around it is just unused--and that's a LOT of space at say, 1900-ish wide resolution, maximized browser, and normal 100% zoom level--that is part of why I have to use 170% zoom--just to fill up the screen!

se-square left has tiny fonts. My left NX theme which is the default ( made by me ) has bigger fonts than stock phpBB and also cures stupid spacing issues with most phpbb themes, as well as many CSS errors in anything related to subsilver. Try my modification with the left NX theme turned on.

If the fonts don't get larger with my modification then something is getting in the way of that.

My modification lightens the shading around posts in the high contrast section of the css file.

Allowing the text to wrap all around the screen would look nuts to most people, but you could add this to my css and get that to happen:

Code:
.wrap { max-width:9000px; }

That's about as good as i can do!

marty said:
I using Windows 7 and Firefox.

Try this.
View, Zoom > Zoom In. or Ctrl++

We've been down this road already.

Back