Move to XenForo software

This section will contain posting guidelines for the forum along with any other information that is relevant to this forum.
pwd   10 kW

10 kW

Re: Move to XenForo software

Post by pwd » Jun 14 2021 4:41pm

Hi Nep and other sys admins,

just wondering if you have a preview etc... of what the site may look like on XenForo is the template the same as seen here?https://xenforo.com/community/

This is just personal preference but I tend to favor the compactness of the current phpbb template with fairly compact text and boarders etc... I find many modern forums very bloated and too chunky. I realize this is to accommodate devices with different sized displays for mobile/tablets etc... and give a responsive template. If we had the ability to select a template with different styling (like desktop vs mobile) that might be a nice thing to have.
2WD Commuter/Street Build viewtopic.php?f=6&t=98286:
Rocky Mountain Element
Magic Pie 4 front w/ Infineon 4 Clone @ 70A phase + Leafmotor 1500 rear w/ Infineon 4 Clone @ 200A phase
Samsung 40T 14S7P

Offroad Build viewtopic.php?f=6&t=102195:
2019 Rocky Mountain Blizzard 20
Cyclone "3kw" 13T motor to 36T chain ring then 32T chain ring to 11T-46T Cassette @ 100A phase
Molicel P42A 21S3P

neptronix   100 GW

100 GW

Post by neptronix » Jun 15 2021 10:35am

Hey PWD, i am also a fan of high density looks.
In PHPBB, the theme was actually too dense, and i had to add more spacing in order for it to work on mobile and look good on modern hi-res screens.
2021-06-15 08_59_58-XenForo - Brave.png
In xenforo, i have to move things in the opposite direction, but not by a ton.
This is the kind of density i'd aim for:
2021-06-15 09_27_52-Large EV General Discussion _ XenForo - Brave.png
This is identical to what we have on ES currently. And it's possible to push a bit further.

I'd also add a bit more contrasting colors in certain areas. Xenforo is a bit too subdued in some places and this makes it harder to read for people with vision issues. It can also look sort of drab.

Xenforo does not need as much CSS work as PHPBB did. It also has a better HTML structure, making it less of a fight to work with.

I'm open to design feedback when we have a proper tester with all the database transformation and bugs kicked out.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them, humanity cannot survive." - Dalai Lama

My first major build: 1.6kW 8T MAC motor on a Trek 4500 MTB.
Monster MTB: Leafmotor 1500w @ 4kW on a Turner O2 full suspension.
The monster scooter: Heavy duty Cannondale semi recumbent - under construction.
Blue Dream: Maxaraya FS semi recumbent and high efficiency mid-drive - under construction.

pwd   10 kW

10 kW

Post by pwd » Jun 17 2021 7:29am

Nice, that preview looks pretty good to me and seems compact enough for a desktop display etc... Glad to here it doesn't need as much CSS work. I'm sure it is using much newer HTML standards too. Thanks for the screenshots.
2WD Commuter/Street Build viewtopic.php?f=6&t=98286:
Rocky Mountain Element
Magic Pie 4 front w/ Infineon 4 Clone @ 70A phase + Leafmotor 1500 rear w/ Infineon 4 Clone @ 200A phase
Samsung 40T 14S7P

Offroad Build viewtopic.php?f=6&t=102195:
2019 Rocky Mountain Blizzard 20
Cyclone "3kw" 13T motor to 36T chain ring then 32T chain ring to 11T-46T Cassette @ 100A phase
Molicel P42A 21S3P

neptronix   100 GW

100 GW

Post by neptronix » Jun 17 2021 10:15am

Yeah, it's a good balance between mobile/tablet clickability and making good use of desktop space.

Here's the 'design language' i've been working on lately:
officemanual-2.0.png
contractormate-mockup-v2.85.png
As you can see, it's less colorful in general.. but the colors are more meaningful and stand out more.

How does this look on your eyes and how do you feel about some variant of this design being used for ES?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them, humanity cannot survive." - Dalai Lama

Blue Dream: Maxaraya FS semi recumbent and high efficiency mid-drive - under construction.

nicobie   1 GW

1 GW

Post by nicobie » Jul 12 2021 1:46pm

Any news on the switch to XenForeo?
Take it easy... but take it. (Woody Guthrie)

my eTownie build thread: http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewto ... =6&t=23701
Magazine article https://www.electricbike.com/nicks-etownie/

neptronix   100 GW

100 GW

Post by neptronix » Jul 13 2021 5:05pm

Thanks for asking, i was thinking i should update this thread.

We do have an initial Xenforo transition done and most of the bugs are noted but it could use a further look through so we can have a FULL list of what needs tackling before the final launch. i'd be willing to hand the bug finding job to anyone with a discerning eye.

The list of buggy/missing data after a Xenforo move is quite daunting to fix though, honestly we're just discouraged at the moment!

ES also needs some major re-engineering of it's hosting and backup system so that it can have adequate space for expansion and long term backup, but in a cost effective way.. i've just started experimenting with that setup for other clients before ES gets the treatment.

So we're waiting on:
+ The server re-engineering to happen, which should be in a few weeks at most since i've just started doing it across the board for all servers i command.
+ Me to have a big chunk of time to write processes to fix the buggy data; probably looking at fall realistically.

If anyone here knows some decent PHP or SQL-database fu and is willing to volunteer, and some free time.. i'd be happy to delegate some of that job out so we can get to Xenforo faster.

nicobie   1 GW

1 GW

Post by nicobie » Jul 13 2021 5:33pm

Thanks for a the update.

When the forum went screwy today is what made me think of it.

BIG thanks to whoever fixed it.
Take it easy... but take it. (Woody Guthrie)

my eTownie build thread: http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewto ... =6&t=23701
Magazine article https://www.electricbike.com/nicks-etownie/

neptronix   100 GW

100 GW

Post by neptronix » Jul 13 2021 6:08pm

I fixed it and the cause is the big server disk problem we're running up against :(

I've stuffed a bandaid on the problem for now that will last a couple weeks but the server job needs to get out of the way sooner than later. Getting that out of the way clears a hurdle :thumb: