Moving servers today

This section will contain posting guidelines for the forum along with any other information that is relevant to this forum.
ZeroEm   10 MW

10 MW

Re: Moving servers today

Post by ZeroEm » Sep 17 2021 8:55pm

Have been staying around 600 x 900. :shock:
y neptronix » Sep 17 2021 7:54pm

They all get forced into being below 2048 x 1500 size. So you can upload whatever the hell you want!
Idea stolen from facebook. :)
2019 Performer E-Trike
2013 Nissan Leaf S 7 bars 331.5w/KM

TorontoBuilder   100 W

100 W

Post by TorontoBuilder » Sep 19 2021 8:52pm

neptronix wrote:
Sep 17 2021 1:50pm
That's why systems like phpbb and xenforo are designed to put limits in at the stage of uploading.
Which can be inconvenient to the user.

That's why i put ~100 hours into writing a platform agnostic, after-the-fact image processor just for our form.

But if a picture is 1000 words then 36 pictures is a novel. See if you can tell the story with less words. :)
I'm not convinced that such per post limits are effective... it is easy to circumvent by just posting another reply to a thread with additional images. It can be annoying if someone wanted to post a new complete build thread of their project rather than a thread added to over days or weeks.

My biggest annoyance with ES is that some threads are pages and pages of comments in between the original posters build posts.

neptronix   100 GW

100 GW

Post by neptronix » Sep 20 2021 12:34pm

TorontoBuilder wrote:
Sep 19 2021 8:52pm
I'm not convinced that such per post limits are effective... it is easy to circumvent by just posting another reply to a thread with additional images. It can be annoying if someone wanted to post a new complete build thread of their project rather than a thread added to over days or weeks.
They're not effective at all. Many ideas like this were implemented in a desperate move to control server resources back then. Consider that we exist on a platform designed 20 years ago for a completely different internet.
Also, some of this old thinking has made it's way into Xenforo.

We have to come up with our own way to handle it.
TorontoBuilder wrote:
Sep 19 2021 8:52pm
My biggest annoyance with ES is that some threads are pages and pages of comments in between the original posters build posts.
Same here :lol:

Xenforo does allow us to have custom post formats to some degree, so there may be some room to make a custom post format for build threads. It already has the ability to do question/answer type threads for the troubleshooting section.
"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them, humanity cannot survive." - Dalai Lama

My first major build: 1.6kW 8T MAC motor on a Trek 4500 MTB.
Monster MTB: Leafmotor 1500w @ 4kW on a Turner O2 full suspension.
The monster scooter: Cannondale semi recumbent - under construction.
Blue Dream: Maxaraya FS semi recumbent and high efficiency mid-drive - under construction.