What's the myers-briggs type makeup of endless sphere?

What's your MTBI type?

• ISTJ

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • ISTP

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • ISFJ

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • ISFP

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • INFJ

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • INFP

• INTJ

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • INTP

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • ESTP

• ESTJ

• ESFP

• ESFJ

• ENFP

• ENFJ

• ENTP

• ENTJ

• Total voters

neptronix

Administrator
Staff member
Hey all.

I've been pondering what sort of people are here.
My guess: some IQ points above average and probably more introverted.

I know the myers briggs personality type system is imperfect but it's a well known and easy to relay/understand way of getting a good idea of how people think.

If you've never taken a MBII test before, check this site out for a good one:
https://www.16personalities.com/free-personality-test

What's the makeup here?

I'm a INTP-A.

I have taken so many of these type of assessments, since I have parent who was psychologist and myself and siblings studied psychology in college and university as electives. The shit we do to get parents to pay for our educations :lol:

ps I think you could have broken out the types or your survey. There are significant differences between many of them

Go figure another INTP would be the first one to respond.
I'm the product of a psychologist and a mad scientist janitor.
Very interesting childhood to say the least. :lol:

ISFP. Seems pretty much spot on for me.

More than half my life ago, a girlfriend tested me and we found that I rated ENFP.

In the years since then, I strongly suspect my results will have changed. Furthermore, during that time I have come to regard Meyers-Briggs to be about as valid as astrology.

Chalo said:
More than half my life ago, a girlfriend tested me and we found that I rated ENFP.

I'm not surprised that you test as an oddball type ( relative to what i expect for an ES-er ).

Chalo said:
In the years since then, I strongly suspect my results will have changed. Furthermore, during that time I have come to regard Meyers-Briggs to be about as valid as astrology.

Any self administered test that quantizes complex human characteristics into a 2-5 digit code can't be anything other than imperfect. However, it makes something complex easy to convey and talk/think about.

The big problem with these tests is that some people get overly attached to their output. And then it becomes a form of astrology for them. That's a known hazard.

Here's my experience:
I've taken the 16 personalities MBTI test ~10 times over the course of 7 years. I always test as an INTP, but there was one instance where i tested as an INFP, and that was when i was dating a super-feeler. Maybe those feels rubbed off on me ( ick! )

For me:
Over time, i've moved from more of an introvert to more of an ambivert.
I'm always fluctuating on the thinker-feeler axis, but the intuitive and perceptive style of cognition seems to be fixed in stone, and also on the far extreme.

Personality type i consistently find myself in long term relationships with: ISFJ/ISFP. INFJs come in second place.
I've had humiliatingly awful and short relationships with INTPs ( being able to communicate almost telepathically is magic ), and fun but very short relationships with INTJ's ( mutual brain attraction is off the scale, but everything else... )
Who are my closest friends? INTJS and INTPs, anything else is a rare exception,

I think these personality tests mean something, only because they show a very consistent thread in what i chose to do and who i chose to surround myself with. But yes, your mileage may vary.

Chalo said:

Absolutely correct.

Conceived by two lay-persons with zero education in psychology, prior to the time when psychology became an empirical science the briggs-Myers assessment is utter hokum. Hokum I may add that is built upon a poor foundation and design that would cause a master's or pHD student to fail their thesis. In fact I doubt that there is a single validation study that exists that proves the results are reliable. In fact the contrary has been proven... people who retake the test often attain a different result. Core personality does not really change.

The biggest discreditor for me though is the company's claim that ""When you look at validity of the instrument [the MTBI], it is just as valid as any other personality assessment"

Started your test here:

After page 2 I started to wonder if I was lying on the questions? Lost interest and hit the back button. Would that make me ADHD?

I sometimes hire idiots and thieves who just got out of prison from a temporary labor place.
https://www.peopleready.com/
Looked at a behavior test laying on a table. Question? When you get angry do you hit people? If I was ever taking a test to get a job, I would lie and answer the questions the way I would like someone to be if I was hiring them. I would not want to hire someone who hits people.

neptronix said:
Chalo said:

I'm not surprised that you test as an oddball type ( relative to what i expect for an ES-er ).

Chalo said:

Any self administered test that quantizes complex human characteristics into a 2-5 digit code can't be anything other than imperfect. However, it makes something complex easy to convey and talk/think about.

The big problem with these tests is that some people get overly attached to their output. And then it becomes a form of astrology for them. That's a known hazard.

Here's my experience:
I've taken the 16 personalities MBTI test ~10 times over the course of 7 years. I always test as an INTP, but there was one instance where i tested as an INFP, and that was when i was dating a super-feeler. Maybe those feels rubbed off on me ( ick! )

For me:
Over time, i've moved from more of an introvert to more of an ambivert.
I'm always fluctuating on the thinker-feeler axis, but the intuitive and perceptive style of cognition seems to be fixed in stone, and also on the far extreme.

Personality type i consistently find myself in long term relationships with: ISFJ/ISFP. INFJs come in second place.
I've had humiliatingly awful and short relationships with INTPs ( being able to communicate almost telepathically is magic ), and fun but very short relationships with INTJ's ( mutual brain attraction is off the scale, but everything else... )
Who are my closest friends? INTJS and INTPs, anything else is a rare exception,

I think these personality tests mean something, only because they show a very consistent thread in what i chose to do and who i chose to surround myself with. But yes, your mileage may vary.

In my opinion these tests should not be used to classify candidates for anything, but the corporate and military psychopaths are lazy and don't really care about people so any tool they can use that simplifies recruitment processes suits them. The Briggs Myers survives today out of sheer greed and corporate psychopathy, and people's innate affinity for anything that provides "meaning" to complex mechanisms that they do not understand.

In my opinion Briggs Myers is analogous to skin colour in determining a person's personality traits... next to useless, but so many people believe it entirely.

That said, I dont object to people who participate in pop culture fads like this or astrology, or religion, so long as it does not intrude or trample my own rights. I'll humour people and take the tests,.. or attend church on Christmas but I'm atheist on all such matters

marty said:
Started your test here:

After page 2 I started to wonder if I was lying on the questions? Lost interest and hit the back button. Would that make me ADHD?

I sometimes hire idiots and thieves who just got out of prison from a temporary labor place.
https://www.peopleready.com/
Looked at a behavior test laying on a table. Question? When you get angry do you hit people? If I was ever taking a test to get a job, I would lie and answer the questions the way I would like someone to be if I was hiring them. I would not want to hire someone who hits people.

Therein lies one of the criticisms... poor conceptual design that allows people to grasp if any of the answers would have a negative consequence that would cause them to desire to lie. Especially when test is being used for corporate or military recruitment. It is possible to know this test well enough to 'fake it' and attain the personality type you can expect that a corporation desires in the candidate for a position if someone really wants to.

How do you think so may psychopaths land roles as corporate executives?

TorontoBuilder said:
In my opinion these tests should not be used to classify candidates for anything, but the corporate and military psychopaths are lazy and don't really care about people so any tool they can use that simplifies recruitment processes suits them. The Briggs Myers survives today out of sheer greed and corporate psychopathy, and people's innate affinity for anything that provides "meaning" to complex mechanisms that they do not understand.

I agree with you that such uses are stupid, dangerous, and potentially immoral. And it burns to see psychology abused like that.

For me, i'm only interested in an approximate overview of what kind of person the endless-spherite is.
A self-assessment of one's personality is one tool of many to help figure things like this out.

TorontoBuilder said:
Conceived by two lay-persons with zero education in psychology, prior to the time when psychology became an empirical science the briggs-Myers assessment is utter hokum...

This is true, however the idea behind MBTI came from Carl Jung and the laypersons who put the 'test' together wouldn't have formulated the idea without him.

Carl Jung would have the same objection you have to this oversimplification and scream bloody murder over it.
Carl Jung would also likely test as an INTP himself because he exhibited, and valued what we consider INTP traits the most.

I find that among me and my INTP-typed friends.. the most repulsing thing to an INTP-type is overly concrete/simplified thinking which doesn't explore all the possibilities, and is therefore misused.
That being said, i appreciate you contributing to the pool of fluffy data even though the methodology makes you want to hurl. :mrgreen:

Joined in part to participate in this. I would love to see more than 13 results!

It's only as good as the truthfulness (honest answers) of the person taking the test. When it was first devised/used it was assumed people were generally honest.

People aren't as honest as they were 50 yrs ago thanks to: TV, movies, corporate scams, politicians and recent Presidents from Tricky Dick to Bill to Donald to Joe. Seems as if lying has become more of the norm than the exception (e.g. 1997 movie "Liar, Liar" staring Jim Carey).

Thus Myers-Briggs is no longer all that useful. Would even a lie detector test be 'proof enuf' that either Donald or Joe were telling the truth all the time or lying some of the time.

We already know the answer so even a lie detector test is of little use. Especially if a liar believes he/she is actually telling the truth.

Not looking to do hard science here, this is a casual online poll.

Well that was a interesting rabbit hole of reading. After the one test I score as a INTP-T and most of that aligns with me. Kinda fun

One if the things I like about ES is the variety of personalities. Electric bikes appeal to the environmentally conscious, and also the hot rodders who don't seem to have any green agenda.

Lots of spirited debate between people where both seem to be smarter than average.

I like the variety also, here's how i'd describe ES in venn diagram format:

es venn.png

spinningmagnets said:
One if the things I like about ES is the variety of personalities. Electric bikes appeal to the environmentally conscious, and also the hot rodders who don't seem to have any green agenda.

Lots of spirited debate between people where both seem to be smarter than average.

My subjective impression is that the discussion here has gotten noticeably smarter during the time I've been watching.

There was a time some years ago when I followed rec.bicycles.tech, endless-sphere, power-assist, motoredbikes, and motorbicycling. What struck me then was that r.b.t participants were clearly smarter than average, the electric bike group players were pretty average, and the gas bike group guys were deeply deficient. Not just in their understanding of the topics, but spelling, syntax and everything else.

Since that time, E-S seems to have gotten savvier overall, while r.b.t has transitioned to an all-bickering format tainted by right wing trolls.

I'm INTP/INTJ personally, depending on test and phase of the moon :). This one gave me INTP, though I'd prefer INTJ I guess.
Get IQ test results between 130 and 140, 'not great, not terrible', in case you want that too.

But that's pretty boring and, indeed, not terribly scientific.
How about MMPI instead? :)

Chalo said:
There was a time some years ago when I followed rec.bicycles.tech, endless-sphere, power-assist, motoredbikes, and motorbicycling. What struck me then was that r.b.t participants were clearly smarter than average, the electric bike group players were pretty average, and the gas bike group guys were deeply deficient. Not just in their understanding of the topics, but spelling, syntax and everything else.

Well, that is easily explained - barring pretty rare and expensive 'factory ebikes' that will not let you tinker with it even if you want to, electrifying a bike is usually not that easy and require ability to learn and try new things.

Gas bikes is established tech, plus they tend to attract personality types that care more about making impressions and "experiencing sensations" than getting to know things.

Of course, this is not true when it comes to making custom bikes, but than, (again, given that gas bike is established tech) 'custom bikes' is usually not about creatively solving some problem or the other that you cannot have otherwise, but dialling 'making impression' aspect to eleven.

Once 'ebikes' become established tech too, things will get more or less the same.
It happened to Internet, too. I've basically witnessed that myself... was fun while it lasted.

Chalo said:
Since that time, E-S seems to have gotten savvier overall, while r.b.t has transitioned to an all-bickering format tainted by right wing trolls.

Sounds pretty dreadful.

You're right about ES getting smarter.

Smart people prefer long form discussion formats and the growth of ebike discussion on social media sites started happening in the mid 2010's.... this created kind of a reverse brain-drain on the ES forum.

Our growth has slowed but the quality of discussion has gone way up and the number of stupid internet fights per year ( usually happens during winter and summer ) has gone down.

I don't mind it :mrgreen:

Back