Images in inline frame

j3tch1u

10 kW
Is it just me or does anyone here find the img in the scrolling frame kinda nasty? I know it shortens the page length, but at the cost of visual continuity and an excess of scrollbars. It also interferes with page scrolling when your mouse arbitrarily lands on an image. Would the admin be willing to revert to prior format?

Miles said:
I believe the intention is to revert to the way images were displayed previously, Ben. It involves a bit more than changing a setting, though...

shucks miles, it isn't that hard..a little ruby, imagemagick. my image processing parser could do 1.5 million product images resized/cropped/sharpened/gamma-corrected in no time. besides, on this forum, it's only markup that needs to be parsed/replaced :mrgreen:

j3tch1u said:
Is it just me or does anyone here find the img in the scrolling frame kinda nasty? I know it shortens the page length, but at the cost of visual continuity and an excess of scrollbars. It also interferes with page scrolling when your mouse arbitrarily lands on an image. Would the admin be willing to revert to prior format?
I agree, "continuity" flows (think electricity)

Flow is healthy (or lucky)

Forcing flow is the same as traffic

Traffic causes stress (or disease)

Traffic is bad Web Feng Shui, (electrical waste)

Choose the path of least resistance!

Thumbnail Choice is the way to go IHMO
No more tequila till Sunday.

The plan is to change the allowable size of pic so that the scroll bars will be taken out, but it takes a bit of hacking on the backend of the software. It was done for the last forum version, and will need to be done again with the upgrade.

johnrobholmes said:
The plan is to change the allowable size of pic so that the scroll bars will be taken out, but it takes a bit of hacking on the backend of the software. It was done for the last forum version, and will need to be done again with the upgrade.

in phpBB styles folder, find content.css and edit this section of code:

Code:
.attach-image {
   margin: 3px 0;
   width: 100%;
   max-height: 350px;
   overflow: auto;
}

change max-height to 800px;

problem solved.

Why don't this forum have auto resize on big pictures?
If you have a picture bigger than...say 1280x1024 it will show as an attachment. Would be better if the board could resize it depending on what size a member runs his browser window and then click on it he would want to see it in normal size.
Doable?

Here are the image controls in the forum software:
Image Settings.jpg

If there was a way to automatically resize the picutres, I'd like to do it.
Any ideas on better settings?

I have written several online publishing wizards in my day.

As a rule, for all my ES posts I set the image height to 340px @ 96 dpi. Some of the images are longer than 1920px (panoramas) and when they do, I post a link to the full image and let the Browser handle it.

IMO - 2048 is too wide for this forum. Actually - so is 1920px for many people with older computers. 1080 is passé; 1280 is the new minimum, with 1600 the new nom.

Another aspect to consider aside from H & W, and that's dpi: Some people have no idea of image management, and simply taking the extra step to reduce the dpi from 300 or 180 down to 96 will chop the file size down to a fraction without ever impairing viewing quality.

Finally there is image compression: The rule of thumb is that if the image is from nature (people, plants, sea & sky) use JPG at 60-80%. If it's graphics (charts, text, drawings) use PNG.

There are scripts that can be written which evaluate the four dimensions and optionally create a thumbnail placeholder. I don't write in php - however this is a no-brainer in the .NET world.

Resized to fit, KF

Back