Please Notify ES Members About ES Site Maintenance

deVries

100 kW
Ypedal said:
ok.. we got confirmation from knight that he is working on an ISP bandwidth upgrade, taking longer than he'd like but it's work in progress, so everyone hang in there, it's being worked on ! 8)
Please Post a temporary sticky Notice (in each main forum) for any future scheduled maintenance several days in advance to let ES members know the ES website may be offline or service spotty between x & x hours/days. :idea:

I would have loved to have preloaded many ES pages to read offline while ES was down for maintenance. :twisted:

Thanks! :D for any heads-up next time. 8)

Yeah, that would be nice.
Would be cool if someone was appointed to maintain stickies for *good* faq posts and also for status info.
I'm sure there would be some hand raisers.. me for one.

HAL9000v2.0 said:
And, aproximatly, how big is ES?

Depends on your font. I can make it as big as my screen, if i want to :mrgreen: .

OK, I couldn't resist that, I have a very low threshold for bad jokes, as you probably already know. But, if you are talking about number of members of the forums, clicking on the "Members" icon in the upper right gives you 9254 at the present time (1/16/2001 5:04 pm CST-USA).

Cameron

HAL9000v2.0 said:
And, aproximatly, how big is ES?
Would have to sacrifice external off-site links & youtube. :p

Maybe have to set it to specific tech forums, skip the biker bars, but then it would not be too many gigs limited to text & on-site photos... :?: :wink:

Some sites block crawler spiders :( :cry: so this may not work. :roll:

Problem with unplanned outages is that.. well.. they are not planned lol...

If the work servers managed to remain online as reliably as the sphere currently does my day job would be tolerable... ( Tech support.. shipping company, i don't run the servers but i get to answer the phones from everyone who calls in to complain... :? ) ..

But on a serious note, being offline for a day or 2 once in a while is not too bad, there were some planned upgrades and sometimes things like this don't go as smooth as they should , i got a reply from knightmb a few hours ago that the site may still be slugish for a few days but once all the patches are applied and whatever needs done is completed, we should be all set for a while !

but man. am i ever glad we're back up !!!

I was thinking how big in memory GB or TB? I allways try to link the pictures from my website or some free picture hosting site. I guess this is not a good thing it that case.

deVries said:
When you use this (I use DTA for FFox that GUIs this) what settings would you use to capture all of ES, including attachments, but not outside linked pages?

I'm sure I can find out by experimentation, but if you already have them, it'd save lots of time (and ES server bandwidth, if I had to keep restarting it from scratch during tests).

I'd like to archive ES periodically if for no other reason than to keep a backup of it in case the ultimate bad thing happens to it. (but also so I have a copy of it for use during times like this, and for when I just need a bit of info that I hadn't saved locally yet, and also so that even if another member decides to hara-kiri all their posts again I'll still have the valuable information that is in them. I abandoned at least one project idea because of the N&V mess and lost data).

amberwolf said:
deVries said:
When you use this (I use DTA for FFox that GUIs this) what settings would you use to capture all of ES, including attachments, but not outside linked pages?
Damn! :( The one time you ask me a question :oops: , and I could answer 8yrs ago only because I've used this type of software 10+ years ago. What you had to do back then was insert the the website(s) or sub-forums it would track & then "the depth" it could drill down to catch all the topics or posts. Then you would just "turn on" the software switch to limit it to endless-sphere.com/forums or a list of external websites that would limit it to where it could go & specify the link depth at the external websites. There were even some duplication prevention features too. I just don't know what "the state of the art" is now with this type of software. I don't even know if these two programs I listed are the best to use for ES purposes. :oops:

amberwolf said:
I'm sure I can find out by experimentation, but if you already have them, it'd save lots of time (and ES server bandwidth, if I had to keep restarting it from scratch during tests).
I'd suggest running it late at night, when bandwidth demand would be lower in the US. I'll be testing the software myself over the next few weeks, but I don't have specific answers for you now. :( :oops:

amberwolf said:
I'd like to archive ES periodically if for no other reason than to keep a backup of it in case the ultimate bad thing happens to it. (but also so I have a copy of it for use during times like this, and for when I just need a bit of info that I hadn't saved locally yet, and also so that even if another member decides to hara-kiri all their posts again I'll still have the valuable information that is in them. I abandoned at least one project idea because of the N&V mess and lost data).
These are excellent reasons to keep website snapshot images on a periodic basis :!: This website is very important to hundreds if not thousands of people, so having some off-site copies is important for disaster situations AND to preserve what sometimes gets deleted over time due to user deletion, mod maintenance/editing, or the real possibility of archive loss/damage, etc. :shock:

It's very likely "the data" could get scrambled & then be backed-up scrambled too before it is found-out to be damaged & it's too late to recover the original pre-scrambled data. I hope ES has a good back-up plan with monthly archives going back years, imo :?:

Quote from ES homepage

" Monday, 01 February 2010
In a bold move to up the competition of other ISP, Endless Sphere Technology has raised their customer bandwidth CAPS to 100,000,000,000 gigabytes per month. This should put the ISP at the top of the country when it comes to ISP and bandwidth CAPS for customers. So far, no other ISP can compare to this CAP and probably none will dare challenge it anytime in the future.

Just another reason why Endless Sphere Technology is the superior ISP of choice for it's customers "

8)

I know that most of us on the sphere are ahead of our time... but Feb 1st ? lol... woot ! :lol:

Back