Is it possible to block PM's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

oatnet

1 MW
A ways back I was approached by a newbie who wanted to buy one of my TidalForce frames. He took the unusual approach of telling me how crappy he thought they were :shock: , and I quickly identified that this would be a customer who my limited time would never be able to satisfy. I addeded him to my "foes" list so I wouldn't have to see him on the board, and after a string of hostile PMs (where he succsessfully got under my skin :evil: ) he finally gave up.

After about a month, he sent another PM that expressed something that could be construed as an apology, and again demanded to buy a frame and have it shipped internationally. I didn't want to weather the storm of hostility (again!), so I never responded. I never read another of his PMs after that, I just moved them to a different folder so they would never show as having been "read" (I assume an unread deleted PM would appear as "read" to the sender).

Now he seems to be sending me a new PM every day. I don't have time for the drama and angst, so I created a rule that puts moves his PMs out of my Inbox. However, it would be nice if I could just block PMs from disturbed individuals, without having them thinking I am reading their messages. Does phpbb give us a way to do this? After poking around some I don't think it is possible, but there are a lot of folks here that are smarter than I am. :D

-JD

I don't think you can block them.

I just post them publicly, so other people can see how stupid they are. That usually stops idiots from PMming me.

PMs are just a request for privacy, IMO... my choice to honor the request, or not.

There is a really easy way to "effectively" block PMs, either from a class of users like Foes, or an individual:

Click here:
http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/ucp.php?i=pm&mode=options
which takes you to your PM rules and settings.

At the top there is a section for Add new rule: Click the dropdown and pick the "If" part, then the Next button to it's right.

The rest is self explanatory as you go. ;)

Now what I really wish is that we either had unlimited numbers of messages in the inbox, or that we had unlimited numbers of folders to put them in, because I hate losing old messages just because of too many n00b messages/etc. coming in before I can go thru them.

I save each page of each folder as csv via the export function, but that is a pretty messy file to to thru to find stuff in later, with all the messages concatenated together like that. :(

I dunno when they started, as I had never had need of it that I recall. But upon seeing this thread I took a gander, and behold.... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back