EZ guide to blocking abusive/unwanted PM's

spinningmagnets

Staff member
Over the years, some members have become abusive in the open public forum, which will be dealt with by established ES moderation policies. However, the power to block Personal Messages (PM's) remains with the individual user, who then retains the ability to un-block, and possibly even re-block that user as they wish.

The process here may be confusing to someone who is new to ES, so I will attempt to make this guide as easy to follow as possible. You may delete PMs before opening, but some members have requested for PM's from Foes to be automatically deleted.

1. Open the home page of endless-sphere in a second tab, so you can read this guide, and also take action on your "User Control Panel" by easily switching back and forth.

2. You must designate the abusive member as a "Foe"

3. You must designate PMs from foes to be deleted automatically.

Step One: Open ES in a second tab, and click on User Control Panel

BlockPM1.png

Step Two: click on Friends/Foes, click on Manage Foes, Copy/Paste the EXACT username

The clipped text reads: "Foes are users which will be ignored by default. Posts by these users will not be fully visible. Personal messages from foes are still permitted. Please note that you cannot ignore moderators or administrators."

View attachment 5

Step Three: Designate PM's from foes to be automatically deleted

Click on Private Messages, click on Rules Folders and Settings, click on down arrow for more options

BlockPM3.png

Click on "sender", click on "next"

BlockPM4.png

Click down arrow for more options, click "is foe", click "next"

BlockPM5.png

Click down arrow for more options, click "Delete message", click "add rule"

BlockPM6.png

Here is the resulting "successful change" message, and also the button to reverse the blocking.

BlockPM7.png

It is also possible to create a folder to automatically direct them to and store them in instead of deleting them, if you wish to save them for forwarding to a moderator, etc.

The options for doing this are visible in the above screencaps by Spinningmagnets.

Just want to give my bro "Amberwolf" a shout out. I am new to moderating, and when I searched for ways to block PMs, he posts so much helpful advice I was not surprised that he had been the last word in a thread on that. I have been posting for years, but am now new to moderating, and Amberwolf has been a steady contributor in the thankless job of moderating (sometimes referred to as "herding cats")

Tried to send you a PM spinningmagnet but I guess it got stucked too.

This is the PM i tried to send, only that I now have 6 marked in the outbox folder.

I have been wondering about the PM. Today I have 5 PM's in the outbox. These are PM's I have replied to people that have sent PM to me. For some reason it seems those PM's are stuck somewhere in the pipeline. I have pushed send button on all of them. And there was no warning indicating things was wronged doing sending the reply. I can not find any of those 5 in the outbox if I look at the sent messages. How come?

Any ideas? Seems my PM have not been send for some reason. What to do?

The one I tried to send to you got stucked as well.

If this post is not in the right place try to PM me with a solution and delete this post so I don't clutter up this thread.
However if other then me have been a victim of this it might be nice if there comes a solution to make the PM works.

It's hard to find cuz "PM" won't be searched on, but if you search on "stuck" and "outbox" other threads on that should come up.

But all that is happening is they are waiting to be opened. They are in the other person's Inbox, and when they open them they will go from your Outbox to your Sentbox. :)

Wierd, but that's how this PHPBB version works.

Back