Uploaded videos are being removed from the forum in 30 days!

neptronix

Administrator
Staff member
Hi all. For a long time, we've allowed video uploads to the forum. However, the uploaded videos are taking anywhere from 25-50% of our storage space and making backups a big problem for us!

I have nuked a few of the largest videos that were in the off topic section so that our backup can still continue to happen without us having to pay our hosting provider for more storage space.

However, within 30 days, i will be removing the remaining video content from the board and archiving it off site.

If you have uploaded video into your posts, please reupload to a site like youtube and edit your post to link to the new video.

If there is some video in a post you feel you are going to miss.. contact the poster and tell them to do the above!

Before all the videos are deleted, i will go through each one ( there are about 1500 ) and determine which ones are really important and probably upload them to youtube in an 'endless sphere' account and edit the post so that the video still remains on the board..

But of the 1500 videos uploaded, we are probably talking about 10 or 20 being preserved by hand by me.. so please take care of your video content if you want it to remain.

- neppy

I can't remember where I saw it, but a couple months ago I was looking for a way to deal with YT's site changes that prevent me from uploading anything to my account thru their regular upload page, and found a scripting thing that could automatically upload a set/folder of files to a specific account. AFAICR it just names the vids the same as the filenames.

You could stick all the files in a folder and then use that to uplaod them all to an "ES" account, and then people could go thru that account and then re-link those vids to their original threads.

Also, you might want to make this thread a global announcement if you havent' already.

Thanks for the suggestion amberwolf;
I've made this post a global announcement and will consider the latter idea after we hit the deadline in march.

nutspecial said:
Cool, that sounds like a great idea. I was wondering if in the meantime there's a way to search/view site or sections by various link or attachment types?

Nope. Phpbb is feature rich, but not that feature rich!

Its a real shame they will have to go! This site is an massive help to all that are starting out on there Electric Vehicle adventure, (Like me) :D and them Videos help so much getting and keeping.. them/us, interested in EV's and the Endless-spere, Just hope we can get most on the Tube.. :!:

Links to YouTube should be OK.
Only the videos uploaded directly to the ES server need to go.

If anybody has videos they want to save, upload them to YouTube and place links in the topic.
If the OP is gone and you can't edit a post to place a You Tube link, let me or the moderators know and we can help with that.

have you thought of hosting the site from your home connection? then use cloudflare to protect your ip addresses from your isp's no servers on residential account?

advantages of home hosting.

1. you can add a hard drive for more space at $79 for 2tb from staples.

2. you are nearby if your logs catch someone hacking the system.

Back