Forum styling changes to enhance the look

neptronix

Administrator
Staff member
I've made a couple small changes to the forum's theme to make it much more cleaner and consistent over the last few weeks.

Those on mobile phones and tablets will now have a much easier time browsing around, as the post topic title now has more room to breathe with the elimination of some redundant phpbb icons and fine tuning of spacing to fit long titles.

View attachment 2

In mobile mode, the page indicators on a thread are now large enough to be clickable on most phones without having to zoom in.

View attachment 1

Page indicators now wrap around when they can so that excess horizontal space isn't introduced into the list.

Profiles are now a bit more compact so that short posts don't waste space.

Positioning of the 'view unread posts' icon to the left is now corrected along with the sub-icon that hangs above it.

And a few more display bugs inherited from the original prosilver theme have been squashed. There are only 2 difficult ones left that need a tweak or two.

As usual, you can change your theme to se_square or prosilver for a blast to the past if that's your preference.
Enjoy!

Did the date format change?

It is now mm/dd/yy which is a very confusing backwards way, only used in the usa. No other country does.

Could we go back to dd/mm/yy?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Date_format_by_country?

Attachments

• 700px-Date_format_by_country_NEW.svg.png
    700px-Date_format_by_country_NEW.svg.png
    25.1 KB · Views: 159
Hm, didn't consider that. It was changed to make room for future features.
dd/mm/yyyy is confusing to Americans and this forum is pretty fairly split between Americans and Europeans..

How about a compromise then.. ( which still saves a little space )

Nov 06 2018 11:30pm

Perfect. No confusion that way.

BTW, most of America uses dd/mm/yy. The us is alone on this.

Done. Thanks for the feedback.

Guys has something changed to notify me when a topic I am posting on has new responses?
I meen all the topics would show up with red at the start if I have not responded to them. Now they don't
I don't think I clicked anything...

Thanks.

-Arlin

mark5 said:
If I understand correctly, the red topic titles were accidental.

Re: Forum upgraded and new emoticons
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=96926#p1420289

neptronix said:
markz said:
Are the red thread topics new or just new to me?

That was due to a misconfiguration of a plugin that turned out to not work..
Should be changed.

No what I am talking about is something that has been there since I joined the forum like 10 years ago and now are gone. So I don't know what topics have been posted on.

You mean the red dog-eared page before the topic title like from Tom's image here?

wWICrs2.png

Is there a guide to the meaning of the additional icons that appear with the round one at the front of the title? I can guess the red-faced one is emabarrassment and the little star is a good start, I scratch my head at the exclamation point, etc.

The additional icons are just there for decoration. Just a weird function of phpbb.
The icons to the left of the above image go to the same place as the red folder icon thing, so i removed the red folder icon thing to make room for future functionality.

Why you would be seeing only red icons to the left of posts is beyond me. I wonder if this situation goes away over time for you and was just due to a weird phpbb bug affecting your account.

Ok lets start over.

How do I see which topics I have responses to?

I have no indication of what I need to catch up on for what topics I am following!

mark5 said:
You mean the red dog-eared page before the topic title like from Tom's image here?

wWICrs2.png

It was either the red folder thing. Or the whole page thing was red. I can't remember but I do know it made looking for the topics I needed to catch up on very easy and it SUCKS now that its gone.

neptronix said:
Try this:

2018-12-23 21_38_33-Forum styling changes to enhance the look - Endless Sphere - Brave.png

Neptronix you still don't understand what I am saying.

I search my posts all the time. Like 10 times a day for 10+ years now.

But when I see the list for "my posts" I can't tell which posts have been responded to.

Okay. I figured you might have been missing the button or something.

I don't even look at the icons on the left. I just notice the chronological order and use that to determine what posts i've been involved in have been responded to, and when.

When you click 'your posts', it's really all red across the board?
And it suddenly started happening?

neptronix said:
Okay. I figured you might have been missing the button or something.

I don't even look at the icons on the left. I just notice the chronological order and use that to determine what posts i've been involved in have been responded to, and when.

When you click 'your posts', it's really all red across the board?
And it suddenly started happening?

No.

When I click 'your posts' I see my posts but I have no idea which ones have been posted on.

Before (up to about a week ago) I would click 'your posts' and I would see my posts and the topics that have anyone posting on since the last time I read it would be marked with a red ICON at the start. I can't show you because it doesn't work anymore.

Red ICON? If you're missing the red dog-eared page-looking button that shows before a topic's title, you can go into your user control panel to the Board preferences tab & change your board style to SE Square Left.

No that's not it.

Ok my brother's girlfriend showed me the problem.

Neptronix you changed the tone of red that indicates a topic that's been posted on.

I used to be able to see it. But I'm color blind on some shades of red and green. Now its really REALLY hard for me to tell.

These first two look very close to the same to me it's very hard to see.

Attachments

• gallery pages.pdf
    624.7 KB · Views: 9
Oh wow. That level of colorblindness must make life a challenge.

I think it's something we should accomodate to a degree.

So here's the options..

1) I make the redundant red folder icon visible in desktop mode only ( we need the extra space on mobile and tablets ), so that you have an indicator..

2) I redo the stock phpbb post notification animations so that they indicate a new post in a more clear way, because honestly, they're kind of obscure and only long term phpbb users understand it, not new ones. During this process, i'd also get rid of the animations who some people have trouble with.

I think #2 would be best for everyone, but let me know what you think..

Thanks I like number 2

neptronix said:
Oh wow. That level of colorblindness must make life a challenge.

Btw its not just the color blindness its also the little thin circle around the icon that's so small it makes it hard to tell.

I can see the difference in the color but its such a small thing its hard to tell. I think the whole Icon used to go red and now its just a very thin circle which makes it hard to see.

The US military had a lot of problems with people from different regions writing-in the date (Europe/USA/etc...AM/PM). They chose

Numerical 2-digit day, 3-letter written month, full four digit year, 24 hour clock

I'm not saying its a good idea, just presenting options for consideration.

"Nov 06 2018 11:30pm" would be

06 Nov 2018, 23:30

I also like the metric system, which is unlikely to be adopted by the US any time soon, much less the military.

Back