Home depot ego battery packs dropped in price. Echo also

boytitan

100 W
So I was checking home depot and notice their ego packs are cheaper.

The 5 ah pack is now only 220

http://www.homedepot.com/p/EGO-56-Volt-5-0-Ah-Battery-BA2800/206056612

The 7.5 ah pack is now only

Also they are going for dirt cheap on ebay. Looks like my second battery is going to be a power tool battery now I just gotta rewire it. Won't be hard but be nice if there was a guide.

If you wanna go cheaper echo 4 ah pack is only 170

http://www.homedepot.com/p/ECHO-58-Volt-4-Ah-Lithium-Ion-Battery-CBP-58V4AH/205575726

These price drops happened in the course of months batteries are really getting cheaper.

Just my opinion...avoid Echo...EGO 56V / 14S all the way. I will elaborate if anyone is interested...

Edit: nothing wrong with Echo batteries, just that IMHO, ego is much better

So my Ryobi OP4015 40v 55w battery pack got wet and shorted out.... :( So I opened it up and sure enough one of the IC's was fried and it had no identification so I couldn't replace it. :evil: The up side is I got to open the pack. This is what I learned........

When you open your pack the first time it will be a bit of a challenge, but the rest will be much easier since you will have learned what to do.

Be sure to look for screws under labels.
View attachment 2

When you open it you will find the cells all securely in a holder. You may have to break apart the holder to get the cells.
Roybi 40v Cells .JPG

In my case I now have 10 used LG LGDAHB21865 1500mAh 25A 3.7v Li-ion cells.
Ryobi 40v Battery Type.JPG

At about 55wa usable, I might be able to get 2 miles further down the road out of them.

:D

spinningmagnets said:
Just my opinion...avoid Echo...EGO 56V / 14S all the way. I will elaborate if anyone is interested...
Biggest advantage I can see with the EGO battery is the pack is designed to stay cooler.

I edited my post too slow, so there are responses I should clear up (I had been on my smart phone so I wanted to keep that post short). Echo packs put the cells in a tight block to make them compact. This will cause the inner cells to be hotter. Plus none of the cells have any heat - absorption materials in contact with the cells.

EGO cells have a heat absorption sleeve on each cell to cap cell temps, the cells are spread out to allow air circulation between the cells, plus...the tool and also the charger both have an air fan to keep the pack as cool as possible. The BMS on the EGO packs are fully potted for water resistance.

spinningmagnets said:
I edited my post too slow, so there are responses I should clear up (I had been on my smart phone so I wanted to keep that post short). Echo packs put the cells in a tight block to make them compact. This will cause the inner cells to be hotter. Plus none of the cells have any heat - absorption materials in contact with the cells.

EGO cells have a heat absorption sleeve on each cell to cap cell temps, the cells are spread out to allow air circulation between the cells, plus...the tool and also the charger both have an air fan to keep the pack as cool as possible. The BMS on the EGO packs are fully potted for water resistance.

Oh agreed ego packs are designed much better then echo.

I've just been eyeballing....yet again....them EGO's from Home Depots website, they dont sell them in store.
Their 56V 5Ah is $298CAD with standard charger $80 or their 30 minute charger $130CAD. The battery works out to $60/Ah while their 7.5Ah you pay more per Ah. Anywayz I compared to EM3EV's battery pack of 52V 12Ah at a cost of $515CAD + $285CAD = $800CAD for 52V 12Ah. Home Depot on the other hand does not charge for shipping for the EGO packs. I will now look at ebikes.ca website just to have a good comparison, they have come out with a new lineup of batteries. 52V 11Ah for $650CAD that is local pickup only. 52V 13Ah can be shipped, $780 + $80 Hazardous Materials + s/h $17-$40CAD, so all in $875-$900 for a 52V 13Ah pack. Now if I was rich, I'd go ahead and buy from Justin at ebikes.ca to support the guy because he does great things. I am not rich. Home Depot is looking like a great deal.
The BMS on the EGO packs are fully potted for water resistance.
from SM
So with that info, knowing the 56V EGO packs have a BMS, trying to establish a reasonable cost to that would be what??? Lets say Im building my pack with the same cells the EGO pack has, Samsung 25R cells or the 20R. And I want a quality BMS similar to what EGO would put in their packs. Would that cost be $50 per pack? What Im saying is it is a nice bonus to have a good BMS in there, because EGO would have done rigorous tests to ensure their product is good quality.

Question is if I dont want to buy their charger for $80 or $130, how would I go about charging the EGO pack?
I saw that the packs have a noticable +(pos) red and a -(neg) black, but it also has a couple other connections. Are those balance leads, program leads, or something of the sort. And does that mean I absolutely require an EGO charger.

I just looked at Luna Cycle 52V 12Ah pack for $460USD + $40 S/H = $500USD/$700CAD
Which is on par with the price of HD's EGO pack.

I dont know if these EGO packs ever go on sale. I havent seen them go on sale, but I havent been paying close attention to them. They must go on sale, would they go on sale at the beginning of spring or end of fall?

I have always just casually looked at tool packs, then priced out a DIY equivelant and the price was never even close. Double if not Triple the cost on a per cell basis, but add in the price of tabs, holders, heat shrink, a tab welder, a BMS - add the price of all that to the DIY option, and buying these packs ready to go is a no brainer.

One downside is the space issue, can't ignore that. Installed on the top of the rear rack, or better yet installed on the sides of the rack and paint the green plastic black and it would look sharp. At a glance it would appear to the untrained eye that the packs in the open air look like hard case pannier bags. Even placing them inside regular pannier bags would be an option, if you dont push them to hard, otherwise if you do it needs airflow.

999zip999 said:
How many amps can a 5ah pack safely handle?
The 5Ah would be a 2P of 25R Samsung, so if they are rated at 20A each, I'd say 40A max. But to be on the safe side of things, 30A. While the 2.5Ah would be able to pull 12A or so.

This is strictly going on that the EGO packs use Samsung 20R or 25R cells. I've just read something somewhere some post, but no hard evidence....... yet.

I can confirm that the cells in the EGO 2.0AH,4.0AH are Samsung 20R Cells and the 2.5AH 5.0AH and 7.5AH cells are the Samsung 25R . I have ridden my 750watt BBS02 setup with all of them. I can ride the 2.0 using PAS on 3 or less and get 6-7 miles on the pack while the 7.5 AH Pack will obviously go much further. :)

NOTE: The 2.0 and 4.0 packs with the Samsung 20R Cells can do more amps by themselves as the 20R cells are rated up to 22Amp continuous.

(4) Chain saw has more blades of contact then the (3) trimmer and hedge cutter does

The charger has 4 or perhaps 5 blades of contact. I did see it, but I did not take a picture because it was in the package. My local store only had 7.5Ah and 5Ah and I did not see any chargers, though they might be stored in the shelving above hidden behind the advertising signs.

I'd just like to know what the other blades of contact are for. Getting down to the idea of charging the pack with a RC charger, rather then spend MORE $$$$ on yet another charger.

Attachments

• EGO Chain Saw.jpg
    EGO Chain Saw.jpg
    280.9 KB · Views: 3,319
  • EGO Hedge Trimmer Picture.jpg
    EGO Hedge Trimmer Picture.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 1,803
I am completely sold on charging my packs to 80% and 90% (4.05V per cell, and 4.1V), but never again 100% (4.2V per cell), so...I agree using a different charger than the factory EGO charger is a good idea.

spinningmagnets said:
I am completely sold on charging my packs to 80% and 90% (4.05V per cell, and 4.1V), but never again 100% (4.2V per cell), .........
+1

spinningmagnets said:
I am completely sold on charging my packs to 80% and 90% (4.05V per cell, and 4.1V), but never again 100% (4.2V per cell), so...I agree using a different charger than the factory EGO charger is a good idea.

I did not think of that, great point to do it that way.
I am just cheap, that money going towards a charger can go towards the battery instead.

Perhaps one blade, or I will start calling them contacts, has got to be temperature, but what about the BMS, balancing each parallel string, needing 3 more contacts on the 7.5Ah, and 2 more contacts on the 5Ah.

balance charge

markz said:
....... but what about the BMS, balancing each parallel string, needing 3 more contacts on the 7.5Ah, and 2 more contacts on the 5Ah........

It is known that lithium batteries last longer if they are never fully charged. (or over discharged or overheated.)
So if someone wants to take a shot at an extend the life of the ego packs then they will need to replace the stock electronics and wiring with custom electronics, wiring and a new charging system.

Will the life-extension of the re-worked ego battery be cost effective enough to pursue that avenue? Well, that is up the the ego battery fans to pursue. In my best guest-a-mation it would be a 2.5year use for a stock and unchanged ego pack vs a 4.5 year purchase of a modified ego pack before a notable range decrease is encountered.

IMO it is just better to get a good pack per-designed for e-bikes or good cells and build a pack the established way. Or, just know that you probably won't get the potential maximum life from your cells.

eTrike said:
Nice! @ebeach common story ;) Good luck!

In my best Elvis voice..."Thank 'ya. Thank 'ya very much"

:lol:

markz said:
(4) Chain saw has more blades of contact then the (3) trimmer and hedge cutter does

The charger has 4 or perhaps 5 blades of contact. I did see it, but I did not take a picture because it was in the package. My local store only had 7.5Ah and 5Ah and I did not see any chargers, though they might be stored in the shelving above hidden behind the advertising signs.

I'd just like to know what the other blades of contact are for. Getting down to the idea of charging the pack with a RC charger, rather then spend MORE $$$$ on yet another charger.

Idk but hope you find out how to rewire it. Not gonna lie my intention of this was getting others intrigued to experiment with making their own charging methods before me.

Well rewiring it is a big ordeal, just try charging it to 4.0V, if I am not mistaken the balancing part doesnt take hold until the last little bit of voltage, say 0.1V so a bulk charge to 4.0V per series COULD work, then every so often perhaps you'd need to balance charge it whether with your own rc charger set on Li-Ion, thats if there are balance leads, or maybe the EGO charger is required to get the full benefit.

Interesting stuff!
A bit higher than someones mini but maybe a good choice. Anyone come up with a method of connecting?
https://youtu.be/dnFWbuVxbZM

Good video

We know they are Samsung batteries but it would have been cool for him to scrape the entire can to get the markings instead of just a little bit so che can onfirm that its a green battery.

Ryobi on sale, Samsung 20Q 20V 4Ah 2 pack $99cdn @ HD in store and online.
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=87544#p1279157

I bought a non-functioning Ego 2.5ah on ebay, and with a "security type" torx screwdriver had it opened up in about 5 minutes. One of the 14 cells was defective (basically at 0 volts) and if any of the cells are way off balance the stock charger won't even try to charge it. Taking the single cell out was a chore, but after getting it out and taking off the outer layer of heat shrink and the temperature buffering stuff, I can see that it is a Samsung 25R cell. The rest of the cells took a charge of about 1.6ah from 3.5v to 4.1v and its hard to say if they have their original C rate remaining. A BMS (aftermarket} would be easy to hook up as all of the balance wires are there.

markz said:
I just looked at Luna Cycle 52V 12Ah pack for $460USD + $40 S/H = $500USD/$700CAD
Which is on par with the price of HD's EGO pack.

Their 56V 5Ah is $298CAD with standard charger $80 or their 30 minute charger $130CAD. The battery works out to $60/Ah

I just installed these batteries from em3ev 52v 18.6 ah for $546 shipped (with charger)
50V (14S6P) Small Triangle Pack With Bag Options
14S6P Battery Option:
50V 18.6Ah High-Energy Pack (14S6P-33G)
$429.00
Charger 30.00
Shipping 87.00

Seems like em3ev its cheaper if you're interested in 18.6 ah and don't mind the shipping delay.

One of the reasons I specifically purchased the 56V EGO products is that...when my 14S ebike battery pack is getting old and only has 2/3rds the range it used to have?...I will get a new battery pack for my ebike, and use the old pack for the EGO products.

I am an idiot when it comes to electronics, but...that being said.

I'd just like to know what the other blades of contact are for

There are two sizes of mower, and the smaller one is sold with the 5.0-Ah pack, the larger mower is 450 more and has power wheels on the rear axle plus a 7.5-Ah pack. The pack by itself is well worth the extra $50.

I have the string-trimmer and the larger mower. Both chargers (the large charger with 4 LEDs, and the smaller charger with no LEDs, with a full charge being all four lit up) will charge both batteries, the large mower pack and the small trimmer pack.

The large 7.5-Ah pack will run both of them (the large mower and the string-trimmer).

The Trimmer only has three blades, so...EGO does not want customers to run the large mower with a small battery pack. That fourth blade tells the pack if it is connected to a high-amp tool or a low-amp tool.

The large pack and small pack both have four slots, so...they can both fit onto either charger, and can actually slide into any EGO cradle. The large mower just refuses to run on the smaller pack.

Back