Nissan Leaf Modules - How fast is "too fast" for charging?

garolittle

10 kW
Hello. I will be using 7 Leaf modules connected in series to power my electric go kart (54 V nominal/58.8V maximum). I am considering the following "constant currrent/constant voltage" charger but it charges at 18 amps.

https://evbatterycenter.com/HAC4/index.php?option=com_hikashop&ctrl=product&task=show&cid=232&name=charger-lithium-li-ion-c1500-18a-54v-nominal-58-4v-max-voltage&Itemid=605

I will be using an Orion Jr. BMS but I am wondering if 18 amps is too much current for this configuration. Any comments or ideas? Thanks.

Gary

The other option I am considering is the following CCCV unit which charges at 4 amps.

https://evbatterycenter.com/HAC4/index.php?option=com_hikashop&ctrl=product&task=show&cid=208&name=charger-lithium-li-ion-14s-53-2v-nominal-58-4v-max-voltage&Itemid=605

However, it's nominal charge level is slightly less than 54V. Any comments or ideas are welcome. Long live ES.

Hi there,

I have been doing something similar here with the same config for use with a home energy recovery system.

I am using a meanwell sp-750 48, its a 15 amp power supply, its been working ok for a few years.

Also, the nissan leaf cells are lets say 60AH, ive read on here in much older threads that the discharge / charge rate was 0.3C, which in my interpretation is 1/3 of 60 = 20 amps.

So, at 18 amps your charge is going to be fine. My 15 amp meanwell psu has been fine for a good while without any issues.

I`m sure with some digging around search sites youl find the actual data sheet for the cells to make sure youll lbe ok.

Anthony.

come to think about it,

my nissan e-nv200 charges from the house mains 240v socket at 32 amps,

plus,

on a rapid it charges in excess of 100 amps sometimes.

So, at 15 amps your just at a level 1 home charging unit of 16 amps,

a level 2 home charging unit charges at 32 amps ( i charge using this twice per day)

your ok with your selected charger, in fact you could fo faster, much faster if you wish to.

Anthony

come to think about it,

my nissan e-nv200 charges from the house mains 240v socket at 32 amps,

plus,

on a rapid it charges in excess of 100 amps sometimes.

So, at 15 amps your just at a level 1 home charging unit of 16 amps,

a level 2 home charging unit charges at 32 amps ( i charge using this twice per day)

your ok with your selected charger, in fact you could fo faster, much faster if you wish to.

Anthony

Thanks for the response. I have the 58 Ah Leaf modules but the charge rate would still be only 1/3 C ... (18A divided by 58 Ah = .3) so it sound like I am all set. I purchased the modules from EVBatteryCenter using the following link. Great vendor with excellent customer support..... :D

https://evbatterycenter.com/HAC4/index.php?option=com_hikashop&ctrl=product&task=show&cid=225&name=2013-15-58ah-nissan-leaf-battery-module-2x3-8v-cells-440wh&Itemid=605

well
EV batterycentre didnt answer my inquiry 2 twice ,
they just ignored my emails.
if you don't know the answer just answer "I don't know..."

EVBatteryCenter has a document talking about charge rates and some other stuff here: https://evbatterycenter.com/HAC4/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=72&Itemid=631

1/3C is the "normal" charge rate. The "fast charge" mode can be as high as 120A, though charging that fast every day will shorten the lifespan of the batteries.

The lifespan of the batteries is quite long though. It's hard to say how many cycles were put on your batteries before you bought them, but they should last at least 1200 cycles of full discharge and full charge before it drops to 80% of its original capacity. If you only discharge to 80% instead of draining it all the way, it should last 5000 cycles. That'd be 13 years of draining the battery and charging it to full every single day. And even then, the battery will still work fine, it'll just be 20% smaller in capacity.

I use 18A rated charger for my 11S Leaf cells pack.
because it is related to this thread:
EVbatterycentre has not correct tech.info on the web site, example?
Chevy Volt cell chemistry is wrong , capacity of gen-2 Leaf cells is wrong...

miro13car said:
I use 18A rated charger for my 11S Leaf cells pack.
because it is related to this thread:

Thanks for the info. I should have the charger within a week. Looking forward to relatively fast charging.

Back