Charging amps through JST balance wires

izeman said:
ebike11 said:
The Q6 only discharges at a VERY slow rate. I thought it was gonna be a much more effective product.
If there is a gap in cells then youll have to wait for a long time to dischage before charging them again
I wouldn't call it ineffective. It's just that stored energy is converted to heat by little resistors. The heat generated is limited somehow if installed in little cases. So those resistors are quite small - but this is the same with 99% of all RC chargers i know of. There are some that can balance at a little higher rate, but still NOTHING compared to something like a BC168 or UN-A6 (which i prefer more), as those chargers basically are 6 completely seperated chargers in one case, so they can act independently and handle each and every cell individually. I have all different chargers that handle different needs: Big bulk chargers for fast charging of big packs with BMS, RC chargers for those little RC toy LiPo packs, and UN-A6 and BC168 to do balancing of big packs before assembly or also for charging small RC packs. Those chargers are really convenient and i wouldn't like to miss them.

So would a BC168 be a better choice to handle large pouch packs rather than the Q6?
My cells are very large pouch cells for my ebike not hobby toys
Thx

It depends 8)
For regular charging you will be faster with the Q6 as it can charge up to 6s with 14A = 300W.
The BC168 will charge therotically at up to 8A, but for connector's safety I would stay below 3A. Still a great current to balance charge multiple packs, but for charging 30Ah batteries ... NAAAHH
Would take 10h with the BC168 and 2h with the Q6. You decide :)

The Q6+ will only do 300W if you supply it with 24Volts. I use them regularly on 19V from Laptop supplies but not at 300W. They are great little chargers by the way.

Volt_Ampere said:
The Q6+ will only do 300W if you supply it with 24Volts. I use them regularly on 19V from Laptop supplies but not at 300W. They are great little chargers by the way.

Any recommendations for a 19v or more laptop charger that isnt too hugeand cheap?
The power supply is 12v that was with my old balancer

What the problem what battery have are we been talking about ? Lipo 18650 or used lap tops what"s up ?
How in the world can we help you ?

999zip999 said:
What the problem what battery have are we been talking about ? Lipo 18650 or used lap tops what"s up ?
How in the world can we help you ?

Oh, they are large LG Lipo pouch cells
Quite big....industrial use cells I was told

Thank you sir as it makes a different. A s witchb of 120ah cell. Ok charge at 6v for a few of what. Or at the begging. And middle pf charge cycle or middle. But never end of cycle as judge by voltage at end of cycle or top of cycle or voltage at 4.19volt. Or 4.25v if happens. Moss No mass for you being bms

ebike11 said:
Any recommendations for a 19v or more laptop charger that isnt too hugeand cheap?
You would need something like this to fully power the charger

€ 18,59 23% Off | 300W 12.5A 24 V Adjustable Power Supply DC24V SM[S Transformer 220v 110v AC to fonte 24V For Led Strip light CNC CCTV 3D Printer
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/c2pmTlyN

I don't know of ANY 300W power supplies for laptops. There would be no reasoning behind. Laptops only use a fraction of that power. Maybe 100W max.

izeman said:
ebike11 said:
You would need something like this to fully power the charger

€ 18,59 23% Off | 300W 12.5A 24 V Adjustable Power Supply DC24V SM[S Transformer 220v 110v AC to fonte 24V For Led Strip light CNC CCTV 3D Printer
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/c2pmTlyN

I don't know of ANY 300W power supplies for laptops. There would be no reasoning behind. Laptops only use a fraction of that power. Maybe 100W max.

Thx for the link.
So basically one connection would go to the 220V wall socket in my home, and the other side to the Q6?

izeman said:
Balancing a heavily disbalanced pack with a charger like the Q6 can take forever. I will NOT charge the low cells until it pulls down the high cells down to a reasonable level. The it charges ALL cells again. As the one low cell is somehow worse than the other (lower capacity, higher internal resistance) i will also not take charge a fast as good cells so it makes the whole process even slower.
As otherd stated: the battery may be already damaged to a point where it shouldn't be used as is anyway. But that's hard to judge w/o knowing all details.

Yes I see what you mean.
The charging function of the Q6 is good...but the discharge function is slow, thats why i was tryjng to chage the low cells to the same level as the higher cells.
The max. discharge rate is 1A I believe

You're assumptions are correct, but you shouldn't mix up BALANCE current and DISCHARGE current. Those are two different things. "Discharging" as well as "charging" as such always happen through the MAIN leads (with chargers like the Q6). Balancing is done through the balance wires.
The BC168 doesn't even have a main's connector, they use balance wires only.
Charge current for the Q6 is max 14A (300W)
Discharge current is max 3A (or 8W)
Balance current is max 1A/cell

izeman said:
You're assumptions are correct, but you shouldn't mix up BALANCE current and DISCHARGE current. Those are two different things. "Discharging" as well as "charging" as such always happen through the MAIN leads (with chargers like the Q6). Balancing is done through the balance wires.
The BC168 doesn't even have a main's connector, they use balance wires only.
Charge current for the Q6 is max 14A (300W)
Discharge current is max 3A (or 8W)
Balance current is max 1A/cell
Thanls for clarifying
I was looking at the balance current.
But there is no balance option.
Is it integrated into the charge option?

izeman said:
NOTHING compared to something like a BC168 or UN-A6 (which i prefer more)
What makes UN-A6 better? You just mean the old original?

Does it pulse like the BC168, allowing 8A charging over the little (#22 ?) XH wires rated for only 3A?

Both seem hard to find cheaply in bulk.

Do the later UNA6 "plus" models also do independent per-cell charging?

I understand CB86 or CB86plus are also of this type. Any others you know of?

I suppose any 1S charger could do, but at 5+A each I guess too pricey x6. :cool:

ebike11 said:
Volt_Ampere said:

How about just converting? https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32882102855.html?trace=wwwdetail2mobilesitedetail&productId=32882102855&productSubject=9-36V-to-19V-10A-DC-DC-Converter-Reducer-Regulator-Voltage-Stabilizer-Waterproof-Boost-Buck-Module

very flexible, but must take current specs with a kg of salt
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1500W-30A-DC-Boost-Converter-Step-up-Power-Supply-Module-In10-60V-Out-12-90V/291837906017

john61ct said:
izeman said:
NOTHING compared to something like a BC168 or UN-A6 (which i prefer more)
What makes UN-A6 better? You just mean the old original?
I don't know what you mean by "old original", a what you call a new one ;)
I also can't say if they pulse or not, it's jus that i prefer the un-a6+ over my bc168 because it has "presets" making it easier to operate. I don't like to press a button a dozen times in case i change current, or charge voltage. Easier to select one of the presets and go.

izeman said:
I don't know what you mean by "old original", a what you call a new one ;)
original, UN-A6, hard to find in bulk
later came
UN-A6 Plus
UNA6PLUS+
UNA9 Plus 9S

the later ones talk about a "balance current", so that means (to me) can't be an independent balancing charger anymore, but converted to the "normal" (and slower at the top SoC stage) bypass-balance charging model.

> I also can't say if they pulse or not, it's jus that i prefer the un-a6+ over my bc168 because it has "presets" making it easier to operate.

Aha. Do you happen to know which is faster?

Back