Experience with Frogzskins for venting?

Batteries, Chargers, and Battery Management Systems.
MJSfoto1956   10 kW

10 kW

Experience with Frogzskins for venting?

Post by MJSfoto1956 » Apr 15 2019 7:35pm

Anybody have any experience with using Frogzskins for venting your battery box? Seems to be an ideal solution for us.

see: https://www.amazon.com/Straightline-Per ... B003CJW8LK

Michael
EVs have fewer externalities than ICE vehicles. In the long run, it is the only way forward.

cal3thousand   1.21 GW

1.21 GW

Re: Experience with Frogzskins for venting?

Post by cal3thousand » Apr 16 2019 9:53am

I'm not quite understanding the use case that you are suggesting. Could you elaborate on what function you are seeking from this material?
Get a Cycle Analyst and a Multimeter, you're still a noob if you don't have at least one of each.

Planning on posting questions or buying anything on this site? Put up your country (at minimum) on your profile. This is a worldwide forum and we haven't reached clairvoyance.

MJSfoto1956   10 kW

10 kW

Post by MJSfoto1956 » Apr 16 2019 4:50pm

cal3thousand wrote:
Apr 16 2019 9:53am
I'm not quite understanding the use case that you are suggesting. Could you elaborate on what function you are seeking from this material?
Just to let cool air in and warm air out of the battery box. Keep in mind, this stuff is waterproof, so you could build a "sealed" box but then let the heat out without worrying about water/mud infiltration.

M
EVs have fewer externalities than ICE vehicles. In the long run, it is the only way forward.

liveforphysics   100 GW

100 GW

Post by liveforphysics » Apr 16 2019 4:53pm

Materials that pass vapor (humidity) but seal against liquid water tend to work like 1 way traps to steadily accumulate condensation inside a device.
Each carcinogen vapor exposure includes a dice roll for cancer.

Each mutagen vapor exposure includes a dice roll for reproductive genetic defects in your children.

Each engine start sprays them into a shared atmosphere which includes beings not offered an opportunity to consent accepting these cancer experiences and defective genetics life experiences.

Every post is a free gift to the collective of minds composing the living bleeding edge of LEV development on our spaceship.

MJSfoto1956   10 kW

10 kW

Post by MJSfoto1956 » Apr 16 2019 5:33pm

liveforphysics wrote:
Apr 16 2019 4:53pm
Materials that pass vapor (humidity) but seal against liquid water tend to work like 1 way traps to steadily accumulate condensation inside a device.
Perhaps in theory you are correct. But I mention this only because this technology is used extensively by snowmobilers (who know a thing or two about water in its various forms). It is also being used by scooter/moped dudes to vent their CVT transmissions. AFAIK, it would be easy to solve your concern with an inverted vent that is "out of the way" of direct water spray -- perhaps under the seat in the storage compartment.

So the answer appears to be no -- nobody has any experience with this stuff?

cal3thousand   1.21 GW

1.21 GW

Post by cal3thousand » Apr 17 2019 10:48am

I certainly do not have experience with those. But in my experience with ICE motors, in general, I understand that they create vacuum all on their own, which, in this case, makes air flow through a material through which snow/water does not.

I do not see a situation in a battery that would allow air flow without some external force. Air being a poor conductor needs a flow to dissipate heat.

So, in other words, I don't think this is the type of venting that would work. But if you do find time/money to kindly test it out for the sake of ES :es: , I'd like to know more about it. :bigthumb:
Get a Cycle Analyst and a Multimeter, you're still a noob if you don't have at least one of each.

Planning on posting questions or buying anything on this site? Put up your country (at minimum) on your profile. This is a worldwide forum and we haven't reached clairvoyance.

MJSfoto1956   10 kW

10 kW

Post by MJSfoto1956 » Apr 17 2019 10:54am

cal3thousand wrote:
Apr 17 2019 10:48am
I certainly do not have experience with those. But in my experience with ICE motors, in general, I understand that they create vacuum all on their own, which, in this case, makes air flow through a material through which snow/water does not.

I do not see a situation in a battery that would allow air flow without some external force. Air being a poor conductor needs a flow to dissipate heat.
The venting usage I mentioned earlier has nothing to do with the ICE motor -- these Frogzskins are being used to vent the CVT transmissions which can get exceptionally hot when pushed hard.

The concept I had was that most eBike battery packs are exposed to moving air. Add one vent in front (perhaps assisted with a scoop) and one in back and air will indeed flow -- assuming there is some space between your cells.

M