0-120V 0-30A variable rectifier/amps/charger, is it ok?

Darren2018

100 W
they are secondhand hacked server power supplies usually meant for telecom towers.

leffex said:
Yes its awesome and works perfectly

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: 5/5

Have you got one of these Leffex? If you do what voltages and currents have you tried? Is the output stable and reliable?

220 input voltage make's it limited use to me. Not may common plugs in the U.S. are 220.

it does look like a hack job of a blade style server power supply. That PCB blade under the plugs would normally be, and may still be live power. Be extra damn careful handling it.

But a hacked power supply may still be a good bulk charger, and the price might be fair considering time and effort. 10 years ago, I built my 100v 5A CCCV bulk charger out of a couple $100 Meanwell power supplies I hacked. whole thing cost me $250 in the end, and was only 5 amps. It might be worth someone's time and money to start with something like this.

Darren2018 said:
leffex said:

Have you got one of these Leffex? If you do what voltages and currents have you tried? Is the output stable and reliable?

I have tried it at maximum about 92,5v charging at 20-25A. So I guess the maximum is either only specified as "Amps" (0-90, max 30A and 0-120v max 25A i.e. 3000w max) and not the voltage really but I don't want to experiment and I will not use so much higher than 90v anyway.

leffex said:
Darren2018 said:
leffex said:

I have tried it at maximum about 92,5v charging at 20-25A. So I guess the maximum is either only specified as "Amps" (0-90, max 30A and 0-120v max 25A i.e. 3000w max) and not the voltage really but I don't want to experiment and I will not use so much higher than 90v anyway.

Thanks Leffex there was a quite a lot of information on that thread. Good to hear you have had success at the full voltage. Have you tested the efficiency? How hot does it get at 25A?

Drunkskunk said:
Not may common plugs in the U.S. are 220.

Usually dryer and stove/oven are 220v, 30-50A. The kitchen outlet is not usually convenient to get to and plug/unplug, or make a splitter for, but the dryer outlet often is.

Unfortunately if you need to make your own cord from scratch the plugs are expensive ($30-60) new, but if you don't mind looking at thrift stores over several weeks to months, you can find a whole cord and plug for a few dollars.

Darren2018 said:
leffex said:
Darren2018 said:
leffex said:

Thanks Leffex there was a quite a lot of information on that thread. Good to hear you have had success at the full voltage. Have you tested the efficiency? How hot does it get at 25A?

Hot to touch. You can hold it if you want. So not that hot. That means you are pushing 25A at least. It starts heat up in about 20 minutes after start but it has a fan that's sets in taking care of it.

sorry for resurecting old thread but I am wondering WHY they stop selling these moded PSUs, without mod they are avaible about 100-120$, sometimes locally i saw them for equvialent of 70-80$ - o_O

I can easy find 0-20A models but 30A is almost impossbile or a lot more expensive

I found two sellers 0-30A (little diffrent shape) but after i bought it they said 0-20A models are avaible they will not sell 30A models anymore

anyone has an idea how to mod that rectifier for higher voltage>?

the reason you dont find them any is because they blow up.

too small a package with shitty chinesium parts that need to work oustide optimal range means you blow the arse out of them in a few months.

if you need a changer for a certain battery you need to get a charger that is optimized for that voltage and current.

these are fairy good if you still want a wide range: https://www.aliexpress.com/store/group/S-2000W-3000W-5000W/1242857_507703805.html

use this formula fo you go below the optimal voltage: if you have a 50% reduction in voltage also do a 50% reduction in current.

also: take it apart and make pictures of ALL the parts, especially the mosfets and diodes. once they blow up you cant read the part number anymore so having a picture before it blew up makes replacing parts simpler.

Back