0-120V 0-30A variable rectifier/amps/charger, is it ok?

Batteries, Chargers, and Battery Management Systems.
Post Reply
Darren2018   100 W

100 W
Posts: 156
Joined: Aug 18 2018 7:10am

0-120V 0-30A variable rectifier/amps/charger, is it ok?

Post by Darren2018 » Jul 27 2019 5:49pm

Does anyone have any information or a review on this charger? https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32999030765.html
HTB1EDu3U3HqK1RjSZJnq6zNLpXa5.jpg
HTB1EDu3U3HqK1RjSZJnq6zNLpXa5.jpg (72.71 KiB) Viewed 953 times
HTB1ROKVUYvpK1RjSZPiq6zmwXXaz.jpg
HTB1ROKVUYvpK1RjSZPiq6zmwXXaz.jpg (88.37 KiB) Viewed 953 times
These chargers are not too expensive but the modules that are not yet modded seem really cheap. I wonder how difficult it is to modify one to make one of these variable chargers?

I think this might be the supply needed? https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32852992503.html

They are incredibly compact for the power and size.

Darren2018   100 W

100 W
Posts: 156
Joined: Aug 18 2018 7:10am

Re: 0-120V 0-30A variable rectifier/smps/charger, is it ok?

Post by Darren2018 » Jul 30 2019 10:59am

Does anyone have any information regarding these?

User avatar
flippy   10 MW

10 MW
Posts: 2177
Joined: Aug 12 2015 3:07pm

Re: 0-120V 0-30A variable rectifier/smps/charger, is it ok?

Post by flippy » Jul 31 2019 9:07am

they are secondhand hacked server power supplies usually meant for telecom towers.
Lithium beats liquid dinosaurs.

leffex   1 kW

1 kW
Posts: 310
Joined: Apr 08 2012 4:39pm
Location: Sweden

Re: 0-120V 0-30A variable rectifier/smps/charger, is it ok?

Post by leffex » Jul 31 2019 1:58pm

Yes its awesome and works perfectly

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: 5/5
Salestech in an ebike store

Darren2018   100 W

100 W
Posts: 156
Joined: Aug 18 2018 7:10am

Re: 0-120V 0-30A variable rectifier/smps/charger, is it ok?

Post by Darren2018 » Jul 31 2019 3:32pm

flippy wrote:
Jul 31 2019 9:07am
they are secondhand hacked server power supplies usually meant for telecom towers.
Do you know how to make one?

Darren2018   100 W

100 W
Posts: 156
Joined: Aug 18 2018 7:10am

Re: 0-120V 0-30A variable rectifier/smps/charger, is it ok?

Post by Darren2018 » Jul 31 2019 3:34pm

leffex wrote:
Jul 31 2019 1:58pm
Yes its awesome and works perfectly

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: 5/5
Have you got one of these Leffex? If you do what voltages and currents have you tried? Is the output stable and reliable?

User avatar
Drunkskunk   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 7246
Joined: Apr 14 2007 11:37am
Location: Dallas, Texas. U.S.A.

Re: 0-120V 0-30A variable rectifier/smps/charger, is it ok?

Post by Drunkskunk » Jul 31 2019 4:05pm

220 input voltage make's it limited use to me. Not may common plugs in the U.S. are 220.

it does look like a hack job of a blade style server power supply. That PCB blade under the plugs would normally be, and may still be live power. Be extra damn careful handling it.

But a hacked power supply may still be a good bulk charger, and the price might be fair considering time and effort. 10 years ago, I built my 100v 5A CCCV bulk charger out of a couple $100 Meanwell power supplies I hacked. whole thing cost me $250 in the end, and was only 5 amps. It might be worth someone's time and money to start with something like this.
Buy the ticket, take the ride.
Monster Bike:http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewto ... =6&t=38667

leffex   1 kW

1 kW
Posts: 310
Joined: Apr 08 2012 4:39pm
Location: Sweden

Re: 0-120V 0-30A variable rectifier/amps/charger, is it ok?

Post by leffex » Jul 31 2019 5:50pm

Yes true. Charging only under on-sight as well. I use a 88v charger changed to about 90,5v. and about 5a

The charger looks like this:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3299426 ... b201603_52
Salestech in an ebike store

leffex   1 kW

1 kW
Posts: 310
Joined: Apr 08 2012 4:39pm
Location: Sweden

Re: 0-120V 0-30A variable rectifier/amps/charger, is it ok?

Post by leffex » Jul 31 2019 6:00pm

The charger is based on R4850G

R4850G looks about like this inside:
viewtopic.php?t=86038
Salestech in an ebike store

leffex   1 kW

1 kW
Posts: 310
Joined: Apr 08 2012 4:39pm
Location: Sweden

Re: 0-120V 0-30A variable rectifier/smps/charger, is it ok?

Post by leffex » Jul 31 2019 6:04pm

Darren2018 wrote:
Jul 31 2019 3:34pm
leffex wrote:
Jul 31 2019 1:58pm
Yes its awesome and works perfectly

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: 5/5
Have you got one of these Leffex? If you do what voltages and currents have you tried? Is the output stable and reliable?
I have tried it at maximum about 92,5v charging at 20-25A. So I guess the maximum is either only specified as "Amps" (0-90, max 30A and 0-120v max 25A i.e. 3000w max) and not the voltage really but I don't want to experiment and I will not use so much higher than 90v anyway.
Salestech in an ebike store

Darren2018   100 W

100 W
Posts: 156
Joined: Aug 18 2018 7:10am

Re: 0-120V 0-30A variable rectifier/amps/charger, is it ok?

Post by Darren2018 » Jul 31 2019 8:45pm

leffex wrote:
Jul 31 2019 6:04pm
Darren2018 wrote:
Jul 31 2019 3:34pm
leffex wrote:
Jul 31 2019 1:58pm
Yes its awesome and works perfectly

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: 5/5
Have you got one of these Leffex? If you do what voltages and currents have you tried? Is the output stable and reliable?
I have tried it at maximum about 92,5v charging at 20-25A. So I guess the maximum is either only specified as "Amps" (0-90, max 30A and 0-120v max 25A i.e. 3000w max) and not the voltage really but I don't want to experiment and I will not use so much higher than 90v anyway.
Thanks Leffex there was a quite a lot of information on that thread. Good to hear you have had success at the full voltage. Have you tested the efficiency? How hot does it get at 25A?

User avatar
amberwolf   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 31702
Joined: Aug 17 2009 6:43am
Location: Phoenix, AZ, USA, Earth, Sol, Local Bubble, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group
Contact:

Re: 0-120V 0-30A variable rectifier/smps/charger, is it ok?

Post by amberwolf » Jul 31 2019 8:52pm

Drunkskunk wrote:
Jul 31 2019 4:05pm
Not may common plugs in the U.S. are 220.
Usually dryer and stove/oven are 220v, 30-50A. The kitchen outlet is not usually convenient to get to and plug/unplug, or make a splitter for, but the dryer outlet often is.

Unfortunately if you need to make your own cord from scratch the plugs are expensive ($30-60) new, but if you don't mind looking at thrift stores over several weeks to months, you can find a whole cord and plug for a few dollars.

leffex   1 kW

1 kW
Posts: 310
Joined: Apr 08 2012 4:39pm
Location: Sweden

Re: 0-120V 0-30A variable rectifier/amps/charger, is it ok?

Post by leffex » Aug 01 2019 1:36pm

Darren2018 wrote:
Jul 31 2019 8:45pm
leffex wrote:
Jul 31 2019 6:04pm
Darren2018 wrote:
Jul 31 2019 3:34pm
leffex wrote:
Jul 31 2019 1:58pm
Yes its awesome and works perfectly

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: 5/5
Have you got one of these Leffex? If you do what voltages and currents have you tried? Is the output stable and reliable?
I have tried it at maximum about 92,5v charging at 20-25A. So I guess the maximum is either only specified as "Amps" (0-90, max 30A and 0-120v max 25A i.e. 3000w max) and not the voltage really but I don't want to experiment and I will not use so much higher than 90v anyway.
Thanks Leffex there was a quite a lot of information on that thread. Good to hear you have had success at the full voltage. Have you tested the efficiency? How hot does it get at 25A?
Hot to touch. You can hold it if you want. So not that hot. That means you are pushing 25A at least. It starts heat up in about 20 minutes after start but it has a fan that's sets in taking care of it.
Salestech in an ebike store

szczur333   10 µW

10 µW
Posts: 6
Joined: Jun 15 2020 12:02pm

Re: 0-120V 0-30A variable rectifier/amps/charger, is it ok?

Post by szczur333 » Sep 30 2020 9:39pm

sorry for resurecting old thread but I am wondering WHY they stop selling these moded PSUs, without mod they are avaible about 100-120$, sometimes locally i saw them for equvialent of 70-80$ - O_o

I can easy find 0-20A models but 30A is almost impossbile or a lot more expensive

I found two sellers 0-30A (little diffrent shape) but after i bought it they said 0-20A models are avaible they will not sell 30A models anymore

anyone has an idea how to mod that rectifier for higher voltage>?

User avatar
flippy   10 MW

10 MW
Posts: 2177
Joined: Aug 12 2015 3:07pm

Re: 0-120V 0-30A variable rectifier/amps/charger, is it ok?

Post by flippy » Oct 01 2020 5:02am

the reason you dont find them any is because they blow up.

too small a package with shitty chinesium parts that need to work oustide optimal range means you blow the arse out of them in a few months.

if you need a changer for a certain battery you need to get a charger that is optimized for that voltage and current.

these are fairy good if you still want a wide range: https://www.aliexpress.com/store/group/ ... 03805.html

use this formula fo you go below the optimal voltage: if you have a 50% reduction in voltage also do a 50% reduction in current.

also: take it apart and make pictures of ALL the parts, especially the mosfets and diodes. once they blow up you cant read the part number anymore so having a picture before it blew up makes replacing parts simpler.
Lithium beats liquid dinosaurs.

Post Reply