Schwinn Premise Lithium Batteries

nutsandvolts said:
This is new, lithium batteries for Schwinn Premise bikes at Canadian Tire, $349 for 24V 10AH.
Two of these in series might be interesting. Anyone have experience with these batteries?

20A fuse doesn't sound impressive. But if it charges at 2C, then I'd think it could discharge a bit more than 20 amps.

nutsandvolts said:
....Now I want to know, is it possible to buy just the batteries and chargers? I would think so, because obviously batteries wear out, and someone surely needs replacement chargers at some point......

Just the "Lithium" batteries from Canadian Tires ?
No problems to get YardWorks, no questions asked.
For E-bikes, I tried last year without success. If you didn't buy your bike from them...
Unless they changed politics, Good luck my friend.

N.B. : I only tried in Montreal stores. Maybe elsewhere....

I bought the Schwinn Premise so I can tell you a bit about the batteries. The short answer is that they suck. The pack is made up of 7 cells in series with a BMS. The cells are 10Ah Phylion lithium cells. The bike itself draws 15A max with the throttle wide open, which is 1.5C, while the batteries are rated for 1C max. Unfortunately my ride home includes a fairly long stretch riding up the Niagara escarpment, so I was drawing the full 15A for about 10 minutes or so solid. The batteries lasted less than 60 trips before they gave out. I was only drawing them down by about 5Ah max on each leg and recharging at work. I opened the pack (only a 30 day warranty on the crappy pack) and one cell was sagging way down at full current draw and tripping the BMS, even when it was fully charged. I took that cell out of the circuit and added a booster pack in series to see if I could stretch the rest of the cells out for a while but that only lasted another few days before another cell went the same way. I ended up replacing the pack with a 8s3p A123 pack I made and that is working great so far.

There have been a few other problems with the bike and I cant really recommend it to anyone. It is really a pretty low quality bike (like a $200 department store bike) with a 500w brushed hub motor stuck on the front. The brakes and shifters and so on are really low quality compared to what I am used to.

I ended up replacing the pack with a 8s3p A123 pack I made and that is working great so far.

Hello,

I have a Schwinn premise bike, and my battery needs replacing too..

I don't want to shell out for a replacement battery, but make my own instead.

I'm curious, how did you build your replacement battery? Where did you source the parts?

Much thanks,
M

Magnum said:
I ended up replacing the pack with a 8s3p A123 pack I made and that is working great so far.

Hello,

I have a Schwinn premise bike, and my battery needs replacing too..

I don't want to shell out for a replacement battery, but make my own instead.

I'm curious, how did you build your replacement battery? Where did you source the parts?

Much thanks,
M

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=88051
And https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=87300&p=1278995&hilit=Diy+lithium+battery+book#p1278995
Look at these ideas.
These are some ez ways. Must buy quality cells Must.

Hello ebikers.
I am brand new to this subject and ebiking.
Recently bought used Schwinn Premise bike circa 2010. It has less than 20 miles on it I'm sure. Battery is kaput and I don't have charger. Could someone send me the bike specs. and email me the owners manual for same?
Best regards
Acebiker

Back