Upcycled used LiIon Battery - NICKS

TonyVov

100 µW
I am looking for some suggestions for re-use of LiIon cells. I am rebuilding my Bafang Pack after an over discharge incident with new cells.
The old cells I will make a "spare" battery.
When dismounting the pack even though I used care I wound up with some small nicks and cuts on the protective sleeve of the battery. My cutting pliers were not good quality.
The cuts near the positive end seem to now make a higher risk of short when rebuilding a new pack.
I am rebuilding with plastic snap together battery connectors so the risk of direct contact is lower.
I have some paper washer stickers.
I am still concerned.

Is there any suggestions for a paint/glue or something that can be used to fix small cuts and tears, what do you do when you see there is a risk of short circuit??

IMG_20191020_154846.jpg

If you don't want to pull the pack apart and put new shrink wrap on the cells....then you could possibly use Kapton tape on the damaged wrap.

The only risk with this damage is shorting to the negative case of an adjacent cell that's at a different potential. If you have plastic cell holders then this shouldn't happen unless the pack is damaged (dropped, crashed). Simply put a piece of heatshrink or a couple of wraps of electrical tape (or kapton as per headrc's suggestion) over the damaged sleeve and don't worry about. The standard heat shrink sleeve on these cells is not strong or heat resistant.

Thanks for replies, the pack is apart with even more nicks, My main concern area is actually at the top but I don't have a good photo for now. where the negative cell wall is visible near the positive end. I plan to add paper washers before welding but the whole thing seems a bit risky for internal shorts if the packaging is not perfect. I will play with the system and see if an additional heat shrink layer can be added before welding. Apparently the old radio guys used to use layers of varnish, like nail polish, in sites like this for added protection.

You can also use liquid electric tape. Yes it’s a thing 😊

Back