LG HG2 Pack problems

Hi,

I've built quite a few packs using Sanyo GA cells and had hardly any issues at all, even when intentionally pushing them to their limits.

I've recently built three packs with HG2 cells and had issues with them all. However, i was pushing them to their limits too, so i wanted to ask if anyone can clarify how likely cell failure is under these conditions:

1. Momentary short circuits of the cells or pack. (A misplaced piece of nickel shorting the pack for a few seconds during the assembly).

2. Using Regen with the Phaserunner at 4A per cell (I tried it at around 6A per cell for a few rides too). I presume slight capacity reduction, but not cell failure.

3. Using controller battery current limit at their max of 20A per cell (I did this for around four rides and have it at 16A per cell normally). Again expected capacity reduction, but not cell failure.

4. How sensitive are the cells to overcharging? (i tried to use Battery Medics in place of a BMS or balance charger, but left it a bit long between balances and had a few cells fail.

I appreciate that limits are limits and understand that short circuits are bad, but i tested the GA packs to their limit and beyond and they retained capacity.

My overall question is if the HG2s are more sensitive to abuse than the GAs, but it would be great to know which of my abusive conditions were more likely to result in cell failure over capacity reduction.

Thanks in advance for any insights!

There were a lot of fake HG2 for some time. Did you notice a lot of voltage sag early on when pushing high current?

Unfortunately I had no way to see the voltage while under load. If they are fakes they would need to be pretty close in spec as I measured the capacity which checks out and they didn’t get too hot when running at 16A per cell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If they didn't get hot at 16A it's highly unlikely that they're fakes. It's also unlikely that a 16A load caused premature death . But the combination of high charge rates, high discharge rates, overcharging , and shorting may have exposed some of the weaker cells. Those would have shown their head in the not far away future anyway. But as to your actual question, the vape modders mostly like them and abuse the crap out of them without issue, so you probably just got unlucky. They're reportedly very durable cells.

Shunt said:
There were a lot of fake HG2 for some time. Did you notice a lot of voltage sag early on when pushing high current?

This nice & good look cells are x4 fake LGHG2

https://ibb.co/qstmVX9

The performance of those are about 35% of genuine original LGHG2
So even if you drain 10A continue per cell for some time it will get very hot soon and if you continue pushing it will pofff

Wich kind of cell failures are you talking about if it wasnt capacity drop? Self discharge?

Did you spotweld the pack and if yes could it be that those bad cells got leaky at the welds (you would smell the eletrolyte)?

Regen at 4-6A should not be problematic if it was for a short time and around room temperature.
What was the max and min voltage the cells had?

Back