3D Printed Hailong/Reention Style E-Bike Battery Case

Batteries, Chargers, and Battery Management Systems.
Post Reply
gomyles   100 mW

100 mW
Posts: 38
Joined: Nov 13 2019 12:54pm

3D Printed Hailong/Reention Style E-Bike Battery Case

Post by gomyles » Feb 07 2020 8:39am

Any of these out there?


Removable / Lockable EbIke Battery Case?


Image

I'm working on one right now because I couldn't find any online. I thought there would be many out there but haven't had any luck.

First one I'm trying to get to print on an Ender (3,5,etc) but would love to do bigger ones after that.

Anyone tried this and if so what were the issues that were faced?

Thanks

User avatar
multifrag   100 W

100 W
Posts: 121
Joined: Feb 19 2016 5:44am
Location: London, UK

Re: 3D Printed Hailong/Reention Style E-Bike Battery Case

Post by multifrag » Feb 07 2020 10:29am

I'm only using 3d printing for prototyping and would never use it as a final build. There are too many problems with layers based plastic prints...

Printed parts only strong in one direction.
There will be problems with making it water tight
The problem of trapped heat from the cells not to mention the sun in the summer(a lot of plastics will soften or stat to at 60C).

I like 3d printing as it gives me the ability to check the design before the start of manufacturing. I would stay away from building something that need to go through heat, vibration and weight of the cells out of printed parts. You might as well just buy the case without cells if you want that design. It will save you money on material and time. I can somewhat i understand if you would have gone for a completely custom battery case design. Copying something that already exist and doesn't cost that much, just doesn't make any sense. Specially when the 3d printed product will be inferior...

gomyles   100 mW

100 mW
Posts: 38
Joined: Nov 13 2019 12:54pm

Re: 3D Printed Hailong/Reention Style E-Bike Battery Case

Post by gomyles » Feb 07 2020 2:13pm

Thank you for the response.

I'm doing this design for a couple of my particular bikes that don't have a lot of room in the frame and there currently aren't any cases that fit (Re-ention or Hailong at least). It needs a really low height and a relatively short length.

I agree that this is a long way from being finished, a lot of problems for sure with the reliability of the layers fusing together.

But it'll be a journey, even if just for the fun of it. Printing out these prototypes is costing only a couple of dollars each time and may come in handy. If it could be printed from Nylon I think it will be worth it, but hard to not get it to warp. Plans in the works to build a heated chamber for my printer and allow it to print with soluble support, so we'll see.

If anybody else has any concerns they might see I'd love to get any feedback.

Image

leffex   100 W

100 W
Posts: 291
Joined: Apr 08 2012 4:39pm
Location: Sweden

Re: 3D Printed Hailong/Reention Style E-Bike Battery Case

Post by leffex » Feb 07 2020 2:29pm

Very cool gomyles. Do you make the bottom bracket as well that you mount on the bike and then add the battery onto?

How many pieces of 3d printing is this?

You can make the 3d print like this and then connect them toghether

U - pieace and _ piece
Salestech in an ebike store

Taswegian   100 mW

100 mW
Posts: 42
Joined: Dec 17 2018 8:21am

Re: 3D Printed Hailong/Reention Style E-Bike Battery Case

Post by Taswegian » Feb 08 2020 12:18pm

gomyles wrote:
Feb 07 2020 8:39am
Any of these out there?


Removable / Lockable EbIke Battery Case?


Image

I'm working on one right now because I couldn't find any online. I thought there would be many out there but haven't had any luck.

First one I'm trying to get to print on an Ender (3,5,etc) but would love to do bigger ones after that.

Anyone tried this and if so what were the issues that were faced?

Thanks
Your images are not loading for me.

I'm working on my own designs and might have one assembled in the next few days. I'm not specifically aiming for Hailong/Renton compatibility, I will do my own quick-release base but will probably look at how to adapt to those mainstream plates as it might be a handy convenience in the future.

I agree with multifrag that there is little point duplicating proven established products, but the smallest of those are twice the size of what I want.

Regarding printing as final builds I kinda disagree, or at least I'm going to give it a go. PLA may soften from 60C but there are much better options. New ASA blends might be a good option, doesn't begin to soften until above 90C (so much like the ABS the existing mass market injection molded stuff and lets face it, if you're getting hotter than that you've got bigger worries...).
Also UV stable so suitable for life outside, although printing a replacement outer shell sometime in the future wouldn't bother me.
Good impact resistance like ABS which is appropriate here too.

I think the weather sealing can be adequate for my needs.

My goal is to have a fleet of mini packs (10s, 2p or 3p) for my girlfriend and I to share so we always have charged packs ready to swap on easily for all the short range trips close to home. I want a minimal footprint on our Dutch city bikes so they retain their original unassisted nature. The batteries are for very light cruising assistance, and short but intense bursts of a few km when caught in the rain or wind and you just want to get home in a hurry.

Dave

gomyles   100 mW

100 mW
Posts: 38
Joined: Nov 13 2019 12:54pm

Re: 3D Printed Hailong/Reention Style E-Bike Battery Case

Post by gomyles » Feb 09 2020 4:25pm

leffex wrote:
Feb 07 2020 2:29pm
Very cool gomyles. Do you make the bottom bracket as well that you mount on the bike and then add the battery onto?

How many pieces of 3d printing is this?

You can make the 3d print like this and then connect them toghether

U - pieace and _ piece

Thank you for the kind words. Yes it would be the bottom bracket that goes onto the bike, the base of the battery, and then the lid. So 3 pieces altogether so far.

Image

Image

Image

gomyles   100 mW

100 mW
Posts: 38
Joined: Nov 13 2019 12:54pm

Re: 3D Printed Hailong/Reention Style E-Bike Battery Case

Post by gomyles » Feb 09 2020 4:31pm

Taswegian wrote:
Feb 08 2020 12:18pm
gomyles wrote:
Feb 07 2020 8:39am
Any of these out there?


Removable / Lockable EbIke Battery Case?


Image

I'm working on one right now because I couldn't find any online. I thought there would be many out there but haven't had any luck.

First one I'm trying to get to print on an Ender (3,5,etc) but would love to do bigger ones after that.

Anyone tried this and if so what were the issues that were faced?

Thanks
Your images are not loading for me.

I'm working on my own designs and might have one assembled in the next few days. I'm not specifically aiming for Hailong/Renton compatibility, I will do my own quick-release base but will probably look at how to adapt to those mainstream plates as it might be a handy convenience in the future.

I agree with multifrag that there is little point duplicating proven established products, but the smallest of those are twice the size of what I want.

Regarding printing as final builds I kinda disagree, or at least I'm going to give it a go. PLA may soften from 60C but there are much better options. New ASA blends might be a good option, doesn't begin to soften until above 90C (so much like the ABS the existing mass market injection molded stuff and lets face it, if you're getting hotter than that you've got bigger worries...).
Also UV stable so suitable for life outside, although printing a replacement outer shell sometime in the future wouldn't bother me.
Good impact resistance like ABS which is appropriate here too.

I think the weather sealing can be adequate for my needs.

My goal is to have a fleet of mini packs (10s, 2p or 3p) for my girlfriend and I to share so we always have charged packs ready to swap on easily for all the short range trips close to home. I want a minimal footprint on our Dutch city bikes so they retain their original unassisted nature. The batteries are for very light cruising assistance, and short but intense bursts of a few km when caught in the rain or wind and you just want to get home in a hurry.

Dave

Thank you for your response Dave.

I agree, even a material like PETG is quite temperature resistant and easy to print. I really like the idea of having lightweight swappable battery packs, kind of like a drill or an impact gun.

Sorry that you can't see the images, here are some links that will hopefully work for you

https://photos.app.goo.gl/dGrdN14tU1b6PKs79

https://photos.app.goo.gl/6cdP32G77UgHDzMa9

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Uc3EUaRYcaeFDjcP7

https://photos.app.goo.gl/KpXQGmJuu5ZoK9zc7

https://photos.app.goo.gl/uqoZoSjq5ytWmFSN8

https://photos.app.goo.gl/eqFDJRFJcmXE5XN69


I'm going to make them anyways. Most things fail so I don't care if it fails. Its fun to make things anyways. And if it works, it'll be awesome!

If anyone else has any feedback I'd love to hear.

Taswegian   100 mW

100 mW
Posts: 42
Joined: Dec 17 2018 8:21am

Re: 3D Printed Hailong/Reention Style E-Bike Battery Case

Post by Taswegian » Feb 11 2020 4:56pm

gomyles wrote:
Feb 09 2020 4:31pm

I agree, even a material like PETG is quite temperature resistant and easy to print. I really like the idea of having lightweight swappable battery packs, kind of like a drill or an impact gun.

I'm going to make them anyways. Most things fail so I don't care if it fails. Its fun to make things anyways. And if it works, it'll be awesome!

If anyone else has any feedback I'd love to hear.
Google photos links work, thanks. :thumb:

As printed the upper case looks kinda flimsy, but then I don't have it in the hand and I guess it's mostly just an umbrella with the base providing all the structural strength?

I plan to build the locking mechanism into the base so each bike has a key and the batteries can be smaller and simpler. I will have many more batteries than bikes and some bikes wont need proper locking anyway (simple hidden latch instead). I suppose you could key all batteries alike but I also didn't want to find space for another item in the battery, I've worked really hard to compact the design.

For my design I was trying to fit a specific space between the rear rack and the seat tube while also staying narrower than the rack so as not to poke out the sides. This drove me to a more 'stubby' form factor.

I have gone rather overboard on the design; Cell holders inside the case incorporate channels for every BMS balance wire, S & P connections, power bus, blutooth bus, bracket to hold the blutooth board, fillets & radius everywhere for strain relief & smoother printing etc etc.

I will start an new thread for it soon.

gomyles   100 mW

100 mW
Posts: 38
Joined: Nov 13 2019 12:54pm

Re: 3D Printed Hailong/Reention Style E-Bike Battery Case

Post by gomyles » Feb 12 2020 6:24am

Taswegian wrote:
Feb 11 2020 4:56pm
gomyles wrote:
Feb 09 2020 4:31pm

I agree, even a material like PETG is quite temperature resistant and easy to print. I really like the idea of having lightweight swappable battery packs, kind of like a drill or an impact gun.

I'm going to make them anyways. Most things fail so I don't care if it fails. Its fun to make things anyways. And if it works, it'll be awesome!

If anyone else has any feedback I'd love to hear.
Google photos links work, thanks. :thumb:

As printed the upper case looks kinda flimsy, but then I don't have it in the hand and I guess it's mostly just an umbrella with the base providing all the structural strength?

I plan to build the locking mechanism into the base so each bike has a key and the batteries can be smaller and simpler. I will have many more batteries than bikes and some bikes wont need proper locking anyway (simple hidden latch instead). I suppose you could key all batteries alike but I also didn't want to find space for another item in the battery, I've worked really hard to compact the design.

For my design I was trying to fit a specific space between the rear rack and the seat tube while also staying narrower than the rack so as not to poke out the sides. This drove me to a more 'stubby' form factor.

I have gone rather overboard on the design; Cell holders inside the case incorporate channels for every BMS balance wire, S & P connections, power bus, blutooth bus, bracket to hold the blutooth board, fillets & radius everywhere for strain relief & smoother printing etc etc.

I will start an new thread for it soon.

To be honest the lock has been one of the most annoying parts :P

I'm curious how you're incorporating the lock into the base?

My top is definitely flimsy at the moment. It's going to need a few design revisions for sure. I think this is probably stage 1.0 or maybe even less. Just starting to get comfortable printing in PETG as well so I would like to give it a go there.

Bluetooth BMS? Is that what the Bluetooth will be used for?

Looking forward! Keep me posted. I'll update this thread as I make progress.

Taswegian   100 mW

100 mW
Posts: 42
Joined: Dec 17 2018 8:21am

Re: 3D Printed Hailong/Reention Style E-Bike Battery Case

Post by Taswegian » Feb 15 2020 6:41pm

I haven't given much thought to the lock yet. Default option would just be a similar lug extending into a recess in the battery instead of from the battery into the base but I would hope to come up with something more compact.

Blutooth is for the smart BMS (long thread in this forum, usually hovers on the first page). The BT part is a separate small board the size of a stick of gum.

A couple design images (unfinished)


I'm assembling one of these currently, but will probably abandon this design. I was specific to location I don't think I'll use.
Attachments
Battery 10s3p Short - All.jpg
Battery 10s3p Short - All.jpg (101.32 KiB) Viewed 752 times
Battery 10s3p Short - Case inside.jpg
Battery 10s3p Short - Case inside.jpg (85.67 KiB) Viewed 752 times
Battery 10s3p Short - Cell holders.jpg
Battery 10s3p Short - Cell holders.jpg (148.83 KiB) Viewed 752 times

gomyles   100 mW

100 mW
Posts: 38
Joined: Nov 13 2019 12:54pm

Re: 3D Printed Hailong/Reention Style E-Bike Battery Case

Post by gomyles » Feb 17 2020 12:19pm

Oh wow, love the design, looks like a lot of intention behind the routing of the wires. Very cool. Yes I gotchya on the BT now.
I've started printing in PETG now, and am getting my bigger printer up to speed, and then will resume printing prototypes.

Taswegian   100 mW

100 mW
Posts: 42
Joined: Dec 17 2018 8:21am

Re: 3D Printed Hailong/Reention Style E-Bike Battery Case

Post by Taswegian » Feb 17 2020 3:44pm

PETG is great. Less ultimate strength than PLA but not brittle. The bit of ductility / flex makes it far more impact resistant so more useful in a lot of utilitarian applications. Print a bit hotter for better layer adhesion, I'm using 90/250 (85/240 first layer) and the print is still very clean with very little artifacts or stringing so might go a bit higher.
Parts feel very sturdy in the hand. The cell holders having the ring structure backed by the 'beams' of the cable management layer feels like you couldn't break it by hand - you'd injure yourself trying.

EDIT - Just to add, I've been extremely impressed with the textured PEI spring steel sheets from Prusa. I do nothing to prepare or clean prior to printing yet the print sticks and then auto-releases on cooling.

No isopropanol
No acetone
No gluestick
No Xjuice

just wipe the dust (if any) with a paper towel, print, and collect. Not even any need to remove and flex the sheet to pop the part off. It's like collecting Earl Grey from a replicator.

gomyles   100 mW

100 mW
Posts: 38
Joined: Nov 13 2019 12:54pm

Re: 3D Printed Hailong/Reention Style E-Bike Battery Case

Post by gomyles » Feb 20 2020 9:17pm

Very cool, I've been printing at 240c and 70C at the bed, tiny bit of stringiness. What kind of printer are you using?

And very cool about to hear about the Spring Steel PEI Sheets, didn't even know those were out there.

Post Reply