Bosch powertube repair

paul-home

100 mW
Has anyone on here attempted to repair a Bosch Powertube battery? I picked up 4 500wh powertubes on ebay for £25 each.
All the cells are LG 3500mah. They are all discharged to just a few Millivolts. The design of the pack makes we wonder if its possible to repair. The BMS is mounted on a flexible PCB which is spot welded down the length of the pack.

If you are in the UK, contact Jimmy at ebikebatteries.co.uk, he may be able to re-cell them for you, although if there is zero voltage in the pack, the BMS is likely to be toast.

Bosch doesn't like it if you mess with their batteries. If you disconnect the cells from the bms or even disconnect one of the balance wires, the bms "shuts off" and refuses to restart afterwards. It needs some factory hocus pocus to come back to live.
I have no idea if your packs are like that, but modern bosch ones are.

Can you add some photos of disassembled pack? But I agree with others, when the Bosch BMS is disconnected from the battery, it locked itself and it is no longer usable.

Jimmy in London at ebikebatteries.co.uk I believe parallels the BMS to another source (likey the new cell pack) once this is done the old cells can be disconnected. Though if a cell group is toast the BMS may well be bricked.
He recelled my brothers Bosch pack but that was a Gen 1 or 2 pack.

paul-home said:
All the cells are LG 3500mah. They are all discharged to just a few Millivolts.

It's not recommended to revive cells that have been discharged below about 1V. At low voltage copper tends to dissolve into the electrolyte and gets re-deposited onto the electrode during charging, and cause shorts. Many BMS are designed to prevent charging if a cell ever drops this low.

Sadly its true. I have spent a lot of time rebuilding the pack, the BMS is somehow locked out.
If anyone figures out how to re-initialise the BMS, please let me know!

Back