Need a video of a lipo fire

patrickza

1 kW
We're putting together a safety video for some drone training. One of the things we'd like to show are a lipo fire. I know there are thousands on youtube, but the agency I work for insists on putting the video into our course, not just the youtube link. That means we'd need permission to use it.

Does anyone have a video that show's a decent lipo fire and doesn't mind us using it in our course?

while I had a fire myself recently, unfortunately I had the warped priority of extinguishing it vs. recording it, however the best example I can think of is the NASA simian robot battery fire, I would think they would grant permission considering it's to be used in a safety video, when the video is completed can we see it here, or is this a proprietary production?

Haha yeah I guess grabbing the camera might not be the best thing to do at the time. I know a few people here have deliberately overcharged lipo to explosion. Hoping they'll share those videos.

I work for the UN, this is something we'll be turning into an online course as the minimum requirement for flying the lowest category of drones probably under 250g. Anything larger will require this plus additional training/licensing.

patrickza said:
I work for the UN, this is something we'll be turning into an online course as the minimum requirement for flying the lowest category of drones probably under 250g. Anything larger will require this plus additional training/licensing.
So you are helping to formulate regulations to restrict/ licience the use of drones..... for the UN !
Sorry, but i would not agree with aiding such an objective, but i would encourage you to produce your own in house videos by overcharging a few hundred kilos of lipo in the basement of the UN.
But Use a remote recorder and post the video !
..then find a more ethical employer.

Hillhater said:
So you are helping to formulate regulations to restrict/ licience the use of drones..... for the UN !

Eh. People are too rude and self-centered to regulate themselves with things like drones and speaker-phone in public areas. I say regulate away in this case.

I don't take it too personally. I realise the UN isn't perfect, nowhere is, but the work I'm doing and the people I work for are all honest, hardworking and doing their jobs to literally feed people when things are going horribly wrong in the world. My role is to teach people how to use drones for mapping, search and rescue, using them with AI etc.

Here's some info on our drone work if you're interested:
Short clip: https://twitter.com/eu_echo/status/1129624153647210497
Longer clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xZ4ukbMvwY

There is a big difference between various "Lipo Fires". You cant just pick any old video and show it in a vacuum. Search the work of LFP. He has many fire videos. . . but most were intentional or somewhat extreme. Shooting them with arrows, hitting them with hammers, grossly over-charging them...

I once hit a power line with a 3D plane... that fire was just burning foam.

I once reversed a cell (presumably) starting a 5.2L V8 with a ~4Ah pack. That fire ball was a solvent blast and calmed down quick.

I once had a puncture due to a prop cutting a pack. That was... about as gnarly as those kids fireworks... the pill you light on fire that turns into a black or colored worm.

I never had an Ebike related lipo fire. Not in operation or during charging... and... I went BIG. No BMS, high rate charging, tons of cells in tons of configurations... years and years...

On many occasions I tried to intentionally light off packs. Very hard to do in most cases. LFP and I even once packed a pack in a pound or two of Potassium Chlorate and could not even get it to go off. We filmed it, but we ended up cheating and lighting it off with acid.

. . .

Best place to get a video of a Fire is with your own gear*

-methods

Back