Charging Lithium Battery With Lead Acid Charger

ElbadoKing

10 mW
Hello good morning. I recently got a lithium upgrade 72v/30ah. According to the person that installed the battery, a lead acid charger is acceptable to charge a lithium battery. My question is was he correct and with a actual lithium charger will I have a better performing battery in terms of capacity.

Volts are volts amps are amps.

Plenty of chargers designed for lead work just fine for LI chemistries

so long as the voltage is precisely user-adjustable, or you add external gadgets to handle the charge termination algorithm.

Plenty of chargers designed for LI I would not leave unattended and/or with backup protective safety electronics to prevent dangerous overcharging.

First you need to know your chemistry, desired termination voltage and amps rate, which dictates how long your charge cycle takes.

Whether or not you plan to risk walking away while it's charging, near a dwelling or not

Features like built-in V&A readout, size & weight, how waterproof or not at all, BMS integration, adjustable Full definition, Absorb Hold Time will add to the cost.

Any CV/CC charger can charge lead acid, li-ion or lifepo4. I use a 10 dollar buck converter (which has adjustable voltage) to charge all 3, just make sure the max voltage to your battery is accurate. A 72 volt CV/CC lead acid charger will charge a 72 volt lithium.

A CV/CC charger will give your battery an excellent charge, no matter what chemistry. As the battery gets full, it reduces the max amps, letting the balancers on the bms work. It might take a while to fully charge a battery but you will have a 100 percent charge pack when its done. I use a volt/amp meter to monitor the charge and when the amps drop to less then 100 ma, you got a full battery.

With lithium and a "dumb" charger, I highly recommend some way to monitor the cell voltage. I only do 3s and 4s packs and I use a tenergy alarm to warm me if the battery cell voltage goes above the limits, it sounds a warning if the cell voltage goes above 4.22 volts.
You would need several of these for a large pack. I always have 5 or 6 of these and use them on all my 18650 packs.
tenergy checker.jpg

Back