Anderson plug irritation

I am using 2 Anderson plugs as a substitute for main switch on my electric bike. When I go over a bump the bike sometimes loses power and pulling the plug out and re-inserting it fixes things until it happens again.

Looking carefully at the plug I can see that the clip that sits under a lip on each contact has failed-in other words the contact pushes further down into the plug rather than making contact with it's matching partner.

Has anyone had a problem like this? Perhaps I am buying a poor quality version of the plug-a cheapie?

Peter Brigg said:
Has anyone had a problem like this?
Mine have been working great.

Peter Brigg said:
Perhaps I am buying a poor quality version of the plug-a cheapie?
That is a distinct possibility. Counterfeits are all over the place. The plastic is not as good, and the shape is not as crisp. Also, the conductor pins may not be silver coated as the genuines, and not formed properly.
Also, even the genuine can have problems from incorrect assembly. Blobs of excess solder or shoddy crimping can cause the contacts to sit improperly in their housings and make less positive connections.

https://jts12volt.com.au/counterfeit-anderson-plugs/

Peter Brigg said:
Looking carefully at the plug I can see that the clip that sits under a lip on each contact has failed-in other words the contact pushes further down into the plug rather than making contact with it's matching partner.

You need a new plug housing at least. The spring in there that maintains tension between the contacts is a necessary component.

If the contact inside isn’t damaged from arcing, then you can simply pop it into a hew housing and you’re back in business. But if the mating surface has been blasted by sparks from separating while under electrical load, then you’ll need to crimp on a new one of those too.

Peter Brigg said:
I am using 2 Anderson plugs as a substitute for main switch on my electric bike. When I go over a bump the bike sometimes loses power and pulling the plug out and re-inserting it fixes things until it happens again.

Has anyone had a problem like this? Perhaps I am buying a poor quality version of the plug-a cheapie?

My off-brand Anderson PP plugs are not reliable. They will pass rated 30 amps, but any vibration will loosen them up requiring a reseat. Also I have had problems with the conductor lip inside connector being pushed back because it slips past stopper spring.

I re-did all my connectors on packs and controllers to XT90 connectors. Zero problems.

Maybe using the wrong insert for the power levels? The 45 amp ones are noticably thicker. I've had to rebend the tip down on a few after pulling them out of the housing, so they would catch on the spring better. They really don't like it when the wires are trying to twist the contacts in the housing ... Or using the wrong crimper either. That can make the contact too lumpy to fully insert to catch the tip onto the spring.

s263235063426757404_p56_i1_w400.jpeg

step 1

check for straight tangs

even slight bend downward

this insures solid click over retainer

step 2

avoid current overload

step 3

see step 1

Back