Parallel balancing 20S12P battery

Is it possible to use 5 pcs of 4S balance lead connected in parallel to 20S12P battery to balance charge the battery?

The charger is imax B6 charger. I’m thinking if I can parallel the 5pcs 4S balance lead cable through parallel balance charging plate. Is this possible?

Thank you for your help

You CANNOT do this unless you disconnect the series connections between the 4S subpacks. Otherwise you will SHORT CIRCUIT the packs. Also the imax B6 at 50W max is going to take ~50 hours to charge a 20S12P battery assuming each cell is ~10Wh.

thepronghorn said:
You CANNOT do this unless you disconnect the series connections between the 4S subpacks. Otherwise you will SHORT CIRCUIT the packs. Also the imax B6 at 50W max is going to take ~50 hours to charge a 20S12P battery assuming each cell is ~10Wh.

Thank you for your reply. Currently i used the balance 4s balanced cable with lipo buzzer to check the voltage.

So long as you do one 4S "segment" at a time only, NP

But connecting multiple segments to each other while they remain connected in serial, no of course not, would be creating dead shorts

boom bad

john61ct said:

But connecting multiple segments to each other while they remain connected in serial, no of course not, would be creating dead shorts

boom bad

Thank u for clearing this up for me.

I will wire the pack into 4s balance lead (5 in total) and connect the 4s 1.2a active balancer if the battery need balancing.

chronosgarage said:
john61ct said:

boom bad

I will wire the pack into 4s balance lead (5 in total) and connect the 4s 1.2a active balancer if the battery need balancing.
Why not use 4 pcs of 5S balance lead instead of 5 pcs of 4S being that your imax B6 can handle up to 6S

eMark said:
chronosgarage said:
john61ct said:

boom bad

Why not use 4 pcs of 5S balance lead instead of 5 pcs of 4S being that your imax B6 can handle up to 6S
Because 5 pcs of the active balancer I bought is 4s. So I can balance charger them via balance cable with imax B6, or plug the active balancer and charge them with 72v charger through main battery lead.

Is this setup correct? What do you think?

If you have a good dedicated balancer, you will likely not bother using the hobby charger, most are nearly as slow as using a cheap BMS.

But I am confused about your balancer, did you really buy five separate units at 4S each?

Are you sure they can be hooked up all at the same time? Are they designed to daisy-chain so all 5 sets end up at precisely identical final voltages?

Why would you go that way, as opposed to buying just one designed for 20S?

john61ct said:
If you have a good dedicated balancer, you will likely not bother using the hobby charger, most are nearly as slow as using a cheap BMS.

But I am confused about your balancer, did you really buy five separate units at 4S each?

Are you sure they can be hooked up all at the same time? Are they designed to daisy-chain so all 5 sets end up at precisely identical final voltages?

Why would you go that way, as opposed to buying just one designed for 20S?
My charger is 84v mppt charger. The 4S is the active battery balancer.
74E4AA16-8E5A-4066-9774-BED0DDE5FEB9.jpeg

I use 5 of these for my 20s battery. The reason I use the 4s version instead of the 20s is that the 20s version cost much more than 5 pcs of the 4s version. I think it will be kind a like a stand alone 4s active battery balance that will only balance the 4 cell group connected into it. But i’m hoping that if I charge the main battery with my 84v charger it will equalize the cell group.

What do you think about this setup?

I think it's nuts. Nothing in series get "equalized" (balanced) except by gear designed to do so, certainly not by a solar charger.

The whole point of balancing is all the cell-groups are the same exact voltage, as precisely as possible, when you're done.

Also I think it's possible that either the balancers or your pack will get shorted, if you don't also break it up into 4S separate sub-packs isolated from each other first.

Please link to the 4S balancer

john61ct said:
I think it's nuts. Nothing in series get "equalized" (balanced) except by gear designed to do so, certainly not by a solar charger.

The whole point of balancing is all the cell-groups are the same exact voltage, as precisely as possible, when you're done.

Also I think it's possible that either the balancers or your pack will get shorted, if you don't also break it up into 4S separate sub-packs isolated from each other first.

Please link to the 4S balancer

Rp 51,998 | Active Equalization Balancer 3S 4S 1.2A Li-ion Lifepo4 Lithium BMS Inductive Energy Transfer Board BMS 3s 4s 5s 6s 7s
https://a.aliexpress.com/_m0nFhrB

Yes but the result is, you aren't getting what you paid for.

Getting sets of 4 each at 5 different voltages serves no purpose at all.

The whole point is to get **all 20** cell/groups at precisely the same voltage.

john61ct said:
Yes but the result is, you aren't getting what you paid for.

Getting sets of 4 each at 5 different voltages serves no purpose at all.

The whole point is to get **all 20** cell/groups at precisely the same voltage.

I have bms that will handle smaller voltage difference. i was hoping to use this type of balancer occasionally, if ever there is a larger voltage difference. So I can use it on my other battery as well.

Back