Advice sought on water damaged 48v 500W Battery pack

matt1231

1 µW
Hello, My scooter unexpectedly cut out recently, i unpacked it and noticed a smell which i associate with battery leakage.

I removed it to discover a disaster of corrosion which hurts to look at and for this i apologise.

My question to you guys is what the best course of action would be; i.e self repair, send it off etc.

I am uk based and will include photos below. Thank you all.

The bottom of the battery is 95% clean, with just the end cell affected.

IMG_20210318_050224_1.jpg

The tape is covering the point where the worst cell was, it fully corroded its top off.

IMG_20210318_050316_2.jpg

The Cell:

IMG_20210318_050333_2.jpg

replace

new cells, trusted source

build the pack yourself

or find someone do it for you, ideally local

much better than trying to find a quality pack from China

hi thanks for the reply, struggling to find exact clones of the cell. I have 2500mAh, 3.8v cells but the old ones are 3.7. Would this cause issues (sorry for my lack of education lol)

No need for "exact clone", goal should be better than original.

There is no 3.8V nominal LI chemistry that's just marketing BS, distrust that vendor.

All the high density cells used for propulsion these days are between 3.6-3.7Vnom.

The specific model cells' objective performance reports are what you should be looking for, some really are head and shoulders better than the stuff usually offered.

Are you looking for high power burst peaks? Or higher Ah capacity for range?

Hello, i really do appreciate the replies your knowledge is very valuable.

The battery is for a scooter i use just for travel, therefore i think range will be the best option.

I do have 49 3.7v INR18650E 8.14wh, which are almost new and only been cycled a few times. Would these be a suitable replacement.

again thanks for the help

Back