Series chargers for higher voltage

999zip999

100 TW
Need a 72v charger so some opinions
I have two meanwell hrp 300 24 and would need a third for 84v total needed. So would have to buy one and prices all over the place maybe clones. Remember I'm also value minded. Big bulky and three of them. Plus wires.
I do have a HP 12v and the meanwell 24v combo for a split pack of 84v times two sets.
Can I combine a HP 12v @ 12.6v and a meanwell 24v at 22v - 29v adjustable. To a identical set with both meanwells set the same voltage.
So now 12,v Series with meanwell and then series again to the same . So 4 chargers in series ok.
That grin charger is expensive and just 360 Watts ???

no. it will not work, at least not well.

just save up and buy a third hrp for 80 bucks on mouser.

999zip999 said:
Need a 72v charger so some opinions
I have two meanwell hrp 300 24 and would need a third for 84v total needed. So would have to buy one and prices all over the place maybe clones. Remember I'm also value minded. Big bulky and three of them. Plus wires.
I do have a HP 12v and the meanwell 24v combo for a split pack of 84v times two sets.
Can I combine a HP 12v @ 12.6v and a meanwell 24v at 22v - 29v adjustable. To a identical set with both meanwells set the same voltage.
So now 12,v Series with meanwell and then series again to the same . So 4 chargers in series ok.
That grin charger is expensive and just 360 Watts ???
These are power supplies, not chargers.

In short - a Power Supply is intended to provide a constant voltage to static applications, whereas a Charger is designed to provide a continuously regulated current to mobile devices, which have an integrated Battery.
How's that.

fatty said:
These are power supplies, not chargers.

we had this argument already and you are still not correct. stop confusing everyone.

999zip999 said:
In short - a Power Supply is intended to provide a constant voltage to static applications, whereas a Charger is designed to provide a continuously regulated current to mobile devices, which have an integrated Battery.
How's that.

almost. you have power supplies that can do CV and you have supplies that can do CC/CV. so a "charger" can just work as a power supply. the only difference is that a CC/CV supply wont shut down and go into a protection mode when you reach its current limit.

the charger in a phone is inside the phone, not in the adapter. the charging chip inside the phone takes current from the adapter and limits the voltage and current according to its programming. the adapter only supplies the power to that chip. :wink:

people calling the usb adapter a "charger" is wrong from a technical perspective and a pet peeve of mine. and its makes things very confusing when you need to explain how the charging process works.

flippy said:
we had this argument already and you are still not correct. stop confusing everyone.
You're still putting people in danger by conflating the two. They even have different names -- they're obviously not the same thing.

You can engage in whatever unprotected practice you want, but you shouldn't suggest it to obviously non-technical users.

999zip999 said:
Thank you.
So my USB phone charger is just a power supply in the off and on and voltage regulation is done inside the phone ?
yes, your usb adapter will simply shut off if it gets dragged down to far with the current demand the charger chip inside the phone asks. so phone charge chips detect the drop in voltage and automagically back off so the voltage comes back within spec. the battery itself cannot do this as its electrically basically a very low value resistor and neither does a bms. do in a bike battery you need to simply limit the current at the power supply to get the proper effect.

fatty said:
You're still putting people in danger by conflating the two. They even have different names -- they're obviously not the same thing.
You can engage in whatever unprotected practice you want, but you shouldn't suggest it to obviously non-technical users.

this is not the place for your keyboard warrior mentality and desire to be right or have the last word. we have made clear already that you dont understand the process enough. so simply stop injecting yourself into topics you have been proven to not understand properly to make a decent recommendation to someone. you have enough knowledge to add value to different subject but until you have learned how this stuff works you need to refrain from commenting on these matters when people as specific questions regarding the process and actually want to learn something.

So ordered a Maxwell 24 volt 300 HPR for $50 with free shipping you said just the box is a little rough.
Now the meanwell is CC- CV ? And how does that work when I hook 3 in series for 84 volts ? Only one pack has a BMS 20s 6p Samsung 40t then a 8 year old A123 20ah 24s and 20s spaim08 8ah 200 watt cell big and heavy. So all 84 volt packs.

999zip999 said:
So ordered a Maxwell 24 volt 300 HPR for $50 with free shipping you said just the box is a little rough.
Now the meanwell is CC- CV ? And how does that work when I hook 3 in series for 84 volts ? Only one pack has a BMS 20s 6p Samsung 40t then a 8 year old A123 20ah 24s and 20s spaim08 8ah 200 watt cell big and heavy. So all 84 volt packs.

check the datasheet, the HRP-300 series has a constant current mode.

if you put them all in series (wich you can because they are fully isolated) you need to set the voltage on all 3 EXACTLY and PERFECTLY to have identical voltages. so 84V/3=28V. so you need to set them exactly to that. the meanwells have litteraly boatloads of protections on them. so running them "off" will generally trigger the protection system on 1 of them and the charging process will not start. so match the voltages exactly. that way they will run exactly the same and act as 1 84V power supply.

note that its recommended to turn them on first and then connect them to the battery. that prevents you from getting sparks.

Hey Flippy, in order to check the isolation of a unbranded power supply, I should apply my probes to the case and poles of the power supply (pos or neg)?How to Test Three - Phase AC Motors.jpg

When connecting in series what do I need to look out for ? Size of wire ? A fan ? Plastic separators they're isolated so they can actually touch their aluminum bodies to each other ? Yes. with the middle one have a tendency to overheat if I stack them I remember seeing other people stack them and if I use it I be using it at 82 volts 14 amps. That's 1148 Watts.

cheapcookie said:
Hey Flippy, in order to check the isolation of a unbranded power supply, I should apply my probes to the case and poles of the power supply (pos or neg)?How to Test Three - Phase AC Motors.jpg

the case does not tell you anything. with the amount of compoents in a power supply i would not trust a meter but just look at the spec sheet.

All three set to 28v left the power cords on all three meanwells and plugged into a 6 outlet power bar it was going to be it's home bar for now. I plugged it in to a 2nd 6 socket power bar to a 100 foot cord to my tree top apt instead of the 50 foot cord that I should have used. Plugged into the 70v half charged 20s pack. All sounds great. Went off to replace a vacuum hose on my cars intake manifold easy peasy. Came back into the garage all meanwells were shut off but one . Only one green light on the other two no light. Was thinking no output voltage on all three. At the end of the 100foot cord the first six bar plug melted at the ground pin I pried it apart I saw the melted end of the hundred foot cord female end it's melted. O plugged it to the 50 foot and at first only one green light would come on of the three meanwells. I waited some time gave it another chance then replugged everything in one by one and everything started working again green lights building voltage plugged it back into the battery it charged the rest of it in no time. I got lucky. I need to wire up a different plug in my garage as my neighbor doesn't like me using the outlet that is on his electrical panel.
I was able to charge my pack to 84 volts.

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=68195&hilit=Series+meanwells#p1033182

Here's the link I found and here's on when I clean up the three chords to the power bar and just put one power Cord on like in Teslanv thread. Where is that guy ? Thanks.

999zip999 said:
All three set to 28v left the power cords and plugged into a 6 outlet power bar it was going to be it's bar. I plugged it in to a 6 power bar to a 100 foot cord to my tree top apt instead of the 50 foot cord. Plugged into the 70v 20s pack. All sounds great. Went off to replace a vacuum hose on my intake manifold easy peasy. Came back into the garage all meanwells were shut off but one. Only one green light on. Were you thinking no output voltage on all three. Or just read the last 6 bar how many times have the tripper tripped. At the end of the under foot card the first six bar melted in at the ground I pried it apart I saw the melted end of the hundred foot cord female end. irie plugged it ended the 50 foot and at first only one green light would come on of the three meanwells. I waited in some another chance the battery replugged everything in one by one and everything started working again green lights building voltage plugged it back into the battery it charged the rest of it in no time. I got lucky. I need to wire up a different plug in my garage ask my neighbor doesn't like me using the outlet that is on his electrical panel.
I was able to charge my pack to 84 volts.

please work on your clarity, its extremely hard to follow your thoughts.

Sorry talk to text And reread it I guess I was just excited. I fixed the post to read better .
Summary I plug them all in on a hundred foot cord with two power strips in between. It shut down and melted things. Will rewire all three meanwells to one plug and eliminate 12 ft of cord from the three meanwells and just use one power cord for all three meanwells. I guess the meanwells were able to protect themselves and shut down then reboot after time and the power came back on. I can't believe that these meanwells are protected like that ? Going to install a shorter power source. Less resistance.

999zip999 said:
Summary I plug them all in on a hundred foot cord with two power strips in between. It shut down and melted things.

yeah, dont do that. it will work with EU 240V but american 110V is not the way try those things.

and yes, the meanwell HRP have every protection and certification known to humanity built into these series. offically they are meant for medical equipment.

I have just been informed by Mr batterygold from Portugal that my series meanwells 24 volt 14 amp chargers three of them in series for 84 volts total all set to the same voltage commented in a different thread that is a fire hazard I've been using them for 5 years and he has me worried seriously three mean Wells is a fire hazard all at the same voltage in series. Please help so I can sleep well tonight.

IMG_20230206_145304914.jpgIMG_20230206_145312038.jpg

BatteryGold often seems to not know what he is talking about.

When he isn't just drawing and typing wierd random offtopic crap to post.

Whether that is the case for his post to you, I don't know, since you don't link to it or quote it.

The only thing I see at a glance there (haven't looked at it in any detail) is that the stack of PSUs that way leaves no ventilation or heat shedding ability for the one in the middle. If those are the type with ventilation holes in them, they do need to be open to airflow.

If you can put them "edge to edge" instead of on top of each other, they'll be better able to shed heat.

But if they don't get hot (even the one in the middle) then it's not really an issue.

Back