Using a lead acid charger on a Lithium pack

TheSiege

100 W
I have a lithium pack rated at 48 volts 13s. The lead acid charger I have says the charge voltage is 58.8 and the float is 55.2. The pack has a BMS built in so I didnt set the thresholds. Is it safe to use the lead acid charger?

It's best to charge lithium cells to 4.0V-4.1V, but its widely accepted that 4.2V per cell is the max.

4.2V x 13S = 54.6V as the absolute max voltage that pack should be charged to.

TheSiege said:
And doesnt the BMS control that at stop it from charging that high?
Maybe, maybe not. The BMS shouldn't be relied upon to control the charging end point. It is there as a safety backup if the charger fails. If the BMS doesn't cut off at 4.2v on a cell, you run the risk of pack fire.

Many chargers have a voltage adjustment setting. If you can find one and drop the max voltage to 54.6v, then it should work OK as a charger.

When reach Max charge voltage need it for the pack unplug it from the charger don't leave it on the charger any longer than necessary and then go buy yourself a decent charger.

TheSiege said:
And doesnt the BMS control that at stop it from charging that high?

probably not. at best it will actually stop the charge but more likely it will enter hiccup mode and still allow bursts of power to flow as its trying to reset. most cheap bms do the latter.

Back