Prodeco Battery adventure

BVH

1 kW
I run my 2014 Prodeco with two factory LFP 51.2V nominal, 12 AH packs. I custom installed the 2 battery in the triangle. I ride in Parallel and charge separately. Over the last year, I have noticed that the rear battery takes only about 40% of the total Ah used on my rides. I would expect a little difference but not that much. I opened one of mine up. Found 2 cells that after a full 3.6VPC charge and a 24 hour rest, are .22 Volts lower that the other 14. The other 14 were very well balanced. I made up a single cell jst charging adapter and proceeded to charge all cells one at a time. The two low cells took about put about 750 mAh while the rest took from 5 to 25 mAh. After an hour, they were back down .2x V under the rest. I tried a third time with the same results after putting in about 125 mAh. I'm still going to use the pack because between the two in Parallel, I have more capacity than I need for my typical 30 to 40 miles rides. What I don't know is how those two bad cells are performing under load but I never let loaded Voltage drop below 50 so I doubt they are being brought down below a safe minimum Voltage.

I did some preliminary looking for pouch cells with the case dimensions I have and did not find any. They are 12 AH cells about 6" long, 2.75" tall and .6" thick. If anyone has a source, especially for 15AH cells, I'd appreciate a link or pointer.

Back