Using 69.4v charger for LiFePo battery

Is it ok to charge a 48v LFP battery (6Ah cells 15s BMS) with 69.4v or 71.4v charger . I know I should be using 54v charger for 48v battery. But in case of emergency can I use a 69.4v or 71.4v chargers if available ? What happens if I use a higher voltage charger (For emergency purpose ) ??

You can always use a charge source that CAN get up to a higher voltage than you want to terminate at.

But if you ALLOW it to go much higher, you can

1. at best reduce the cell longevity

2. break other devices on that circuit

3. destroy the battery quickly

4. start a major FIRE kill people and destroy the nearby buildings

So, either sit there in an alert state watching the voltage climb at the pack posts with an accurate DMM the whole charge cycle, no drinking drugging dozing off allowed

or (much better) get an adjustable HVC circuit in there (at the pack posts) that cuts off the source at its inputs when your desired setpoint is reached.

Thus the source does not even need to be an intelligent charger with automated stop-charge

but can be a dumb cheap Mean Well PSU or DCDC converter.

The highest voltage of iron-lithium battery is 3.65v, and the highest voltage of 15-string battery is 54.75v. Higher than the rated voltage will directly damage the battery pack and even cause safety accidents. It is not recommended to charge beyond the rated voltage and rated current, and the battery should be equipped with a protection board for balanced charging . Lithium iron batteries are relatively safe, not absolutely safe.

Finding the right power source for charging is the only way to ensure safety and battery life

Back