10s6p x2 or 20s6px1

nalu808

1 W
I am planning to build a battery pack. Would it be better to build two 10s6p and hook them up in series or one 20s6p? If I did the 10s, I would buy a 10s balance charger and have no BMS. As for the 20s, I would run a BMS on the pack to balance charge them. All thoughts and opinions are welcomed.

Sticking to 10S units or less, means the ability to use hobby chargers for balance charging, a great way to go.

In series becomes 20S to get high voltage.

One 20S BMS is best, just wire it so easily removed.

Or do without, a pack level LVC is good enough if you are conservative and balance regularly.

Wiring two 10S BMS in series can be fraught.

Always go with the higher voltage. Controllers only care about amps. So a 50A controller delivers double the power at 72V compared to 36V.

I have a 24s A123 pack for 8 years as two 12s split in triangle and rear with 4-6s balance wires for ez monitoring and balance. Just bulk charge and check rarely do I balance or need to. I have a 20s 6p Samsung 40t with BT BMS but haven't got the BMS to show individual cell voltage yet. It sounded good on paper but I can't get it to show individual cell voltage. I wish for those balance wires like 4 - 5s balance wires. If you run a big pack 20ah or more is ez to monitor. I also have a spaim08 20s 1p 8ah no BMS big heavy square and cheap 4 - 5s balance wires . With quality cells make it ez to monitor. Even at 8ah. I only get 7ah out of it. Safely.

nalu808 said:
I am planning to build a battery pack. Would it be better to build two 10s6p and hook them up in series or one 20s6p? If I did the 10s, I would buy a 10s balance charger and have no BMS. As for the 20s, I would run a BMS on the pack to balance charge them. All thoughts and opinions are welcomed.
Definitely two 10s packs so you can balance charge them instead of relying on a BMS.

Back