good balance charger recommendations please

Hi my second Hyperion EOS 1420i finally just blew up! after spending a day trying to fix it, iv decided to pony up and get a new one.
Im just looking for some pointers to a good charger to replace it. I'm looking for something to charge packs of up to 10s liion, 42v max i suppose, with output of between 500w and 1000w.

Im happy with dc input.

so far I'v been looking at Icharger x8, but only has 37v max output.

please let me know if there are any really good chargers out there that are trusted and reliable.
cheers,
Rtl

This people makes good balancing chargers.
Good relation quality and price.
http://www.chargery.com/

thanks for that. I knew they made BMS, but not the chargers.

I checked the specs, most of the chargers say minimum output 10.0v dc, but that it can charge lifep04 1s,(3.2v nom.) I don't understand how that could work. I'm keen to know as one of the jobs i need it to do is 1s lifepo4.

I have heard Jason from Chargery is good to deal with so ill write to him and ask.

so i ordered an Icharger 3010b. It will balance 10s and very few others will, can run on dc with 1000w output, terminal voltage can be adjusted nicely.

its got the old simple screen style but i dont trust the new x6 or x8 models, looks like the touch screen could be another failure pint, and they wont do 10s balance anyway.

It was getting pretty hard to find, many stores were out of stock in Aus/ NZ. I didn't want to risk buying from Aliexpress in case of fakes ore faulty ones with ensuing return headaches, so I got one from hobby store in US.

looks like they are phasing them out or perhaps cant get supply due to chip shortage. most places were backorder or out of stock.

is this what they call active balancing?

iv done it while charging my pack with adaptto, using the hyperion to boost the low cells .it certainly works....til the hyperion blows :D

ridethelightning said:
is this what they call active balancing?
No

"Active" balancing can mean

A. circuitry maintains the same balance current rate even as delta decreases, approaching target spec (most slow down), or

B. as energy is removed from high cell-groups, it is added to the low ones (most just bleed off to resistance)

And some balancers do both.

Node chargers do not technically do any balancing at all.

They charge each cell-group through the balance wires

thus at a very low effective current rate

via a separate 1S charger on each cell-group, independently regulated.

If each is set to the same charge profile, then at termination the battery is balanced

assuming accuracy of those independent charge circuits

fatty said:
I highly recommend exploring node charging as a better method of balance charging.
RCX BC168

I designed the first of that kind together with Jason from Chargery around 15 years ago (maybe more). It has the advantage that very little parameters set is need in order to charge any kind of battery. We made it with the idea of just plug and play, not be like 5 min. setting up the charger before every charge...

_GonZo_ said:
I designed the first of that kind together with Jason from Chargery around 15 years ago (maybe more). It has the advantage that very little parameters set is need in order to charge any kind of battery. We made it with the idea of just plug and play, not be like 5 min. setting up the charger before every charge...
Wow, what was the model actually released? was that before ANGO iC8S?

I am looking for one that

is user-custom adjustable for LTO & LFP so down to 2Vpc as well as the usual 4.2+

gets up above 12A, ideally much higher.

6S would be OK, but 8S even better

Out of what I've found OTS, BC168 has finally come back into production

compare to UNRC UNA9 Plus ??

Radiolink CB86-Plus ?

I think the old FMA/Revolectrix Cellpro 4S ones are now unobtanium?

Cellpro PL8 was/is limited to just 3A. . .

markz said:
iCharger
https://www.buddyrc.com/collections/icharger
Thanks Markz. Iv now got myself one of the oldshool ichargers, 3010b coming in post.
I decided I didnt like the new ichargers with touch screens as I know how easy they are to break one way or another, and as if to confirm that, i saw in your link there, buddy rc selling replacement screens that were "sold out"

Back