Single cell voltage isolated chargers?

Does such a thing exist? It would seem to make some sense to use a single charger for each parallel group rather than one big charger for the whole pack, costs don't seem much different, the inputs could be wired in series (or parallel groups in series) to get input/output voltages as close as possible, balance charging by default and more flexible, just stack up the number you need. I'm thinking for built-in charging (charger mounted to the vehicle), make sense?

I remember seeing one years ago that was used for LiFePO4 batteries. I don't see them around anymore. I have also seen DIY setups using a bunch of "wall wart" style single cell chargers. It tends to be much more bulky than a conventional charger setup but eliminates the need for a BMS during charge.

Thanks. Never come across it before and thought I might have been missing something, good to know it's viable :) The wall wort one could be really good, wouldn't imagine it's hard to find them at the right voltage for next to nothing. Was wondering about it after seeing the prices on high current chargers for 72v or more, they ain't cheap! Was a bit jealous of the server power supplies, too low voltage but it's only just dawned on me that they can work the same, two 36v in series and centre-tap the pack :) Could still be interesting to try out though, some extra protection/management circuitry and it could be a better option than one big charger and single BMS board.

Back