Solderwelding copper on nickel strip to add current capacity

Yaroooo

10 µW
Hello guys,

I've calculated that I must stack 3 nickel strips of 0.15mm to have a safe margin on a 150A battery. Since I have a small spot (especially on positive side) where to solder on 18650 batteries, I'll probably have hard times to stack this strips.

I've thought about reinforce serial sides of a single 2p (0.15mm) strip by welding on it a piece of copper wire (14AWG) and then solder spot it with 4 pair of spots.

What do you think about this? Any observation like: low count of spots, too thin nickel strip or copper/nickel/tin oxidation etc. ?

Here's an example image:
EXAMPLE.jpg

That will be an improvement over just pure nickel. I am a fan of the copper-nickel sandwich method if you have a spot welder.

For this method shown above, something you might consider is making a very high amp spot welder with a microwave oven transformer.

Since you are bonding copper to nickel away from the cell, you can use very high heat.

Yes, in this case I solder copper before solder nickel on cell, so I'll be quite "relaxed" in soldering cause no heat transferred on cell.

About spot welder, I've a China 5kW welder that it's not very powerful. That's why I've tough on this method.

Understood, it's a cool project. A little too complex for my project.

This time I'll have patience (a lot of!) and will solder a wire to increase current capabilities on series.

Does anyone know a supplier of copper strip in the UK? Just assembled a K Weld and would like to give it a try with nickel and copper.

Back