20S DIY triangle battery configuration

zorbas

10 mW
Hello,

this is my first DIY battery. I have two configurations that I'd like to consider but I am not quite sure it it is realistic/feasible.
Can you tell me if this is easily achievable? I want easy series and parallel soldering (with a spot welder).
I am considering using diagonal plastic spacers and nickel strips in diagonal grids.

Configuration for a 20S2P 21700 72V (Samsung 40T - 3,8Wh" 35A" (26A)) - 7,6 Ah 550Wh
Image .jpg

Configuration for 20S5P 72V battery (18650 Sanyo GA 3,3 Wh, 10A) - 16.5 Ah battery 1200 Wh
Image.png

Thanks in advance for your advices and comments! :thumb:

Oh yes! Good point. I messed up the configuration of the 20S2P :? :roll: I illustrated a 20S30P here. I will correct that. :thumb:
But otherwise ? Is it realistic to build these shapes?

I want to use it for a GMAC 10T with Phaserunner or maybe later with a RH212STD

There are too many variables (where have we heard that before), even moreso considering it's your first build. Thus, possibly why there's such a meager response so far.

It boils down to the "effective efficiency" of the builder's skill level and current flow resistance of the battery itself. Your design(s) may be just as valid as those of an advanced builder. But a good design can still result in a flawed build.

Figuring out the perfect solution (effective efficiency) is kind of like students in a Chess Club having a favorite opening that favors his skill level whether a 5th grader or high school student. Depending on how one's brain is wired a 5th grader could checkmate a high school student even though the high school student is no rookie having beat most of his peers. Even so whether a beginner or advanced we always learn new concepts and techniques from other builders whether a first-time design or advanced design.

So to get this thread hopefully moving along i'll throw out a question based on the following 72V 6P pack using 18650 Sanyo GA cells ... https://litespeedbikes.mybigcommerce.com/72v-21ah-triangle-battery/

20200108_102009__61611.1578496829.jpg

Can your design effectively be just as efficient as the above fabrication if it were also 5P like your 72V design ? ...

file.php

eMark said:
So to get this thread hopefully moving along i'll throw out a question based on the following 72V 6P pack using 18650 Sanyo GA cells ... https://litespeedbikes.mybigcommerce.com/72v-21ah-triangle-battery/

Can your design effectively be just as efficient as the above fabrication if it were also 5P like your 72V design ? ...
In the meantime I had almost decided to go for a classic box shape to make my first build.

But this is very interesting indeed. I like the idea that there is no interruption in the series connection between the 20 parallel groups. I will definitely make a small design test with 4 or 5P. It seems promising!

I have no doubts that I can reproduce an existing configuration. I had troubles to find the design of a triangle pack where the current flow looked well balanced (mine is not convinving in that perspective). The one you are pointing at have a nice triangular shape and seems well balanced in the same time. :thumb:

Back