U004 Battery: changing BMS

Kaio_

1 µW
I've bought this battery: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002710812223.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.21e84c4dy5eKFw

it's a 72v 20s4p battery that currently has a 50A BMS installed. I want to get a 3000W hub motor, and the controllers on most kits are rated 50A as well. From what I understand I need the BMS rating to be higher than that of the controller, then I will need to upgrade the BMS to 60A or even higher.

Is this the right way to go? This bike will be intended for trail riding, and I don't expect to sustain anywhere near 50mph with it, but if the controller is putting out 50A all of the time then it'll burn out the BMS.
Otherwise, if it only spikes to that amperage then I should be fine in moderation? :?

The exact behavior would depend on the BMS and the controller current cut off limits. Some "50A" BMS will just cut the power at 50A; some will allow you to exceed 50A for short bursts. If you get a controller with a programmable max battery current level; you can try running it at 50A battery and see what happens. If the BMS cuts out; try reducing the controller's max battery current by a few amps.

Back