Charging Battery Arrays with PSUs - Please Verify

Lith-O-Volt

1 µW
I'm planning on building a pair of battery packs for my upcoming e-bike build. They will be LG MJ1 cells in 13S7P arrays within DP-9 cases utilizing a 3-pin XLR(F) charging jack. The BMS will be the 30A one offered on the DP-9 case listing through GreenBikeKit, which is the only one that seems to fit a fully loaded case, but it doesn't seem to have any documentation.

Based on what I have read, I am under the impression that one benefit of using a BMS is that I can run the output of an appropriately rated power supply into the charging jack of the battery case and then the BMS will monitor the charging and handle the balance charging to top off the pack. Is this correct?

I have also read that a pack utilizing a Smart BMS requires a Smart Charger, which seems counter-intuitive...

Can anyone help clear this up for me?

Lith-O-Volt said:
Based on what I have read, I am under the impression that one benefit of using a BMS is that I can run the output of an appropriately rated power supply into the charging jack of the battery case and then the BMS will monitor the charging and handle the balance charging to top off the pack. Is this correct?

Yes, but make sure your psu has the right voltage and dont rely on the bms to terminate the charging.

Lith-O-Volt said:
I have also read that a pack utilizing a Smart BMS requires a Smart Charger, which seems counter-intuitive...

No, that is incorrect. That is if by smart bms you mean one where you can change settings.

That's what I've always taken "Smart BMS" to mean. But then, I'm quite new to this level of battery tech.

j bjork said:
make sure your psu has the right voltage and dont rely on the bms to terminate the charging.

It seems that a lot of people around here are using the Mean Well PSUs in charging applications. It looks like a pair of LRS-350-48 in parallel would do the trick. I plan to adjust the voltage trim pot to get 54.6 V and swap out the current limiting resistor to keep each supply capped at 6 A, for 12 A overall (0.5C).

I've combined Power One linear PSUs to create bi-polar, multi-rail supplies in the past, but I haven't previously designed with SMPS. Do I need to place anything between the parallel PSU outputs to buffer them from each other, or do I just connect them to the output jack via a fuse(s)?

[EDIT] Nevermind, I found the answer to my question after some sleep. For any who may be in the same situation, this document lays it out so simply that I felt stupid for not realizing myself. Essentially, the answer is to make the parallel connection at the load (rather than near the supplies) and to realize that the failure of one supply will not result in the cessation of current draw, so diodes must be used on the output (+) of each supply to prevent each supply from shorting current through it's failed mate.

Back