How to easily/safely test a diy battery?

RyanDe

1 µW
I think I've watched too many youtube fires. :lol: I'm about to finish up my first 48/16Ah battery and before I throw it on my mini bike and start riding I want to make sure I'm not on fire down the road after a few miles. I was hoping to borrow a friend's infrared camera and fully drain and charge the battery a couple times to watch for any heat issues. Using normal supplies I might have how can I easily (and safely) discharge the battery at a rate similar to what the ebike will do? Any other suggestions on what to test before I put this battery into action?

You can hook up an imersion heater, or any other simple heating system like hotplates or oil radiators.
With simple I mean the one with the mechanical thermostat

I would test with the continous power/current your motor can pull.

I tested my 21S5P (100Ah) pouch battery pack on my 5kW scooter with 82A from SOC 100% to 5%.
Afterwards I charged with 32A.

Wondering if it's worth adding another balance lead so I can check the cells after a few charges to make sure they're balancing correctly too. Feels like little cost for added extra security (being able to check the balance anytime)

I have three batteries all with just balance wires. I stopped using a BMS since I had all the problems with my Ping singalab bms. I use high quality cells.
I have a new BT bms on a 20s6p 21700 pack it only works when it wants. The one with the little elephant.
Always balance the battery before you put the b m s on.

999zip999 said:
I have three batteries all with just balance wires. I stopped using a BMS since I had all the problems with my Ping singalab bms. I use high quality cells.
I have a new BT bms on a 20s6p 21700 pack it only works when it wants. The one with the little elephant.
Always balance the battery before you put the b m s on.

I was thinking about doing that, it seems most tools do that, they have the tool/charger control the battery instead of each battery having it's own bms. My concern with that is short and low voltage detection still needs to be present in the battery, right?

When I said my new try at a Bluetooth bms and only works when it wants I was talking about it showing up on my phone but I think it's always working and every time I able to get the Bluetooth function to match up with my phone everything seems correct. The maddening part is the hotspot on my phone and the Bluetooth BMS screen only work when they want. For many months when I first got it I couldn't get the right download with the BMS and I wish I just had four 5 s balance wire to check with cellmeter. Old faithful.

Back