I have been avoiding this thread for some time now, until today someone raised it to my attention, and HOLY CRAP
... what a storm
While i may regret this, I want to attempt adding some clarity to this epoxy thing. A couple of moths ago I assembled a pack with some standard production 38120S cells from EVC. I am a pretty strong fella (think Lennie from Of Mice and Men
). During that assembly, I was screwing one cell into another (set screw in between) and applied force like nobody's business when i felt the epoxy joint break free. As I was twisting with my large hands like a drunken sailor, I was not the least bit surprised... at least I knew from that what the limitations were.
I set that cell aside and completed the pack with a spare I had. After reading the last several posts in this thread I decided to go get a better look at that cell. I pealed away the heat shrink and used one of my button head hex socket screws, and turned the terminal ever so slightly more to see where the separation occurred. Mind you that took quite a bit of force also. The outcome was that the epoxy plug had separated from the outer can.... not the terminal itself. Notice also there is no sign of crumbling epoxy or rust on this cell. All in all I am very impressed with how sturdy these puppies are.
Now as for the epoxy thing on the new 38140se cell I have, only time and close inspection will reveal any useful information... and when i am damn good and ready, I'll pull that pack apart and report back what I find. But for now, I going to proceed with my other tests. I think it is pointless very unfair to all of us to jump to any conclusions or speculate how or why that particular epoxy joint failure occurred on that pre-assembled pack. At least now i understand how simple of a repair it is likely to be... that was the whole point of me starting that thread. Here are some pics of the 38120S cell whose neck I broke