Where to get diodes?

Kevinator

100 W
I'm currently using 100v/100a diodes from Ping, which seem to work fine as far as I know, but would like to find another solution that is more compact. Ping's boxed diodes each measure 7/8"x 1-5/8"x2-7/8", and take up a lot of bag space when using 3-4 of them. They were $8 each if that provides a reference point for pricing.

Any suggestions on smaller diodes and where to get them? I'm not very electronics-literate so its difficult figuring out what would work or not. I'd much appreciate it if someone could link me to some possible alternatives. TIA

pasteque said:
the only thing i can't understand is how the regeneration will work if you put a diode on power wire....is there a tip? :?:

I would think that the controller would have to be specially designed to have a "recharging" wire(s), to separate it from the main power wire. As far as I know of, none like that exist.

pasteque said:
the only thing i can't understand is how the regeneration will work if you put a diode on power wire....is there a tip? :?:

A simple relay across the ideal diode that has it's coil activated by the same signal you give to activate the regen braking would be a $4 and 10mins of work solution.

These ideal diodes are such a clever device! It's amazing the world was missing these from it until Tiberius was kind enough to manufacture them for us.

pasteque said:

Regen does complicate things. Diodes are only needed when there are multiple battery packs in parallel. If its just one pack, then there's no diode. Reverse regen current can flow and then its down to the BMS how it handles it.

With multiple packs, the idea is to share the current between them. On load, the bulk of the current should come from the highest voltage pack; on regen it should go to the lowest pack. There isn't one simple solution; its going to depend on the individual case, and as Luke says, its probably going to involve relays, or at least the solid state equivalent. I suppose it would mean building a PMS (Pack Management System)* that sits a level up from the BMS's.

Nick

*or Stored Energy Management System, etc.

Back