Mixing Dewalt batteries with LiFEPO4s from another source.

BiGH

100 kW
I thought insted of hyjacking a thread, I'd put it in a seperate topic. Can anyone see a problem with running say 2s2p dewalt packs with 2s 36v 11ah LiFePO4 packs?

I'm thinking that this would be a good way to get the range i want, while also being able to use the dewalt packs for powertools?

also what ways are there to determine if the dewalt packs are fully used up? is there only the possibility of a voltage meeter, and disconnect them when they reach 2v per cell?

Take Care,
Haydon

Just how long were you planning on nursing that Foster's, mate?

I take it you want to run without isolation diodes.
Without diodes you generally what to keep everything fairly matched.
Since the two are the same chemistry it should work alright at least for a time until they age some.
Removing packs to use individually is not ideal because it throws off the balance as they age differently, best to keep them all the same number of cycles.
Read somewhere that lithium-phosphate are actually more suited for buddy-pair configuration because they will self balance if within close tolerance.
However since they haven't been available for very long, this is breaking new ground so can't say if the difference is anything worth worrying about.
You'll just have to give it a go & let us know.

awesome thats kinda what i figgured. good point about the pairing of them.

There were two requirements i realised i wanted out of my e-bike.

the ability to do short trips with light weight - ie to the shops and back, or out for food and back.

And then commuting to work / class.

Using dewalt battery packs is a bonus. Due to the high price of them in australia, I'm going to be able to get some from the states, with what would essentially be a free drill in comparison to if i bought them over here (they're over double the price!)

I intend to retire the batteries to the tools after they've been used too much on the bike - this keeps cost down while improving flexibility.

the dewalt packs (will always be run at 72v) -and will be the short trip ones :)

If your paying anything over US ebay prices for packs (ie, ebay price + postage abroad) then have you considered buying developers packs direct from A123? they seem pricey at first, but offer reasonable postage, and you wont have to throw cells away. (I got 5 dead cells in 7 packs).

Jozzer said:
If your paying anything over US ebay prices for packs (ie, ebay price + postage abroad) then have you considered buying developers packs direct from A123? they seem pricey at first, but offer reasonable postage, and you wont have to throw cells away. (I got 5 dead cells in 7 packs).

its one of the areas i'm still looking into.

Dad is going on a business trip to the USA very soon.. might be asking him to make a trip to home Depot or something;) hehehe

BiGH said:
Dad is going on a business trip to the USA very soon.. might be asking him to make a trip to home Depot or something;) hehehe

I have yet to see either DeWalt/A123 or Milwaukee/Emoli powertool packs in any of the hardware stores around here in Portland, Oregon, including Home Depot and Lowe's. :?

Same thing in the True North.
I even asked the sales guys & they said they never even heard of it.
And DeWalt owns Home Depot, don't they?
They have to unload the old inventory somewhere, maybe that's why they're keeping it quiet in the hinterland.

bugger! thanks guys!

:(

will wait and see what i can do. I can order it from my local store - but its soo much more expensive. heck even the Aussi spec charger is $239! :(

the US ones sell for pocket change on ebay :S.

they aren't that popular here according to the people at Total tools, because they are too high end, and most tradies are happy with the lower 18v spec stuff!

I saw some DeWalt 36V battery packs on clearance for $99 at Lowes about a month ago so some stores had stock at one point. It looked like a local markdown (stickers w/new price in pen). This was in California, the San Joaquin valley.

-Mike

OneEye said:
I saw some DeWalt 36V battery packs on clearance for $99 at Lowes about a month ago so some stores had stock at one point. It looked like a local markdown (stickers w/new price in pen). This was in California, the San Joaquin valley.

-Mike

nice - so cheap - i found a place on ebay that looks reasonable - and services australia. they even provide a us to AUS transformer :)

i'm going to query them on prices.

Back