Help me find soldering iron for lipo cells/tabs

Ykick

1 GW
As the title says, I'm trying to figure out what soldering iron to use - cheapbatterypacks.com sells a hammerhead tip that seems to be for 60W iron. Is that enough wattage to rework these tabs and does the hammerhead tip make much difference?

I know about the Zinc solder/flux when doing bare tabs just trying to figure out the right size iron? I tried a pistol iron but the tip isn't large enough to get any heat into those tabs.

Many thanks!

YKick,

For 29.99 RadioShack offers a nice 250/275w Soldering Gun... This works for everything from Lipo tabs to zinc tabs on NIMH and does wonders for adding connectors to upwards of 10G Silicon (I've used with 8G but it's really too hot.)

The trick is let the iron glow with the trigger pulled then solder the tabs within 5-10 seconds with the direct heat and zinc flux solder.

I've blown up 3 wES 50s and a number of cheaper soldering irons before I realized and now... well reworking cells (or assembling clean packs) is a piece of cake :)

Hope this helps!
Mike

Thanks Mike,

I worried the pistol type might not have enough mass at the tip to work heat into the tabs but you obviously use it effectively. Thanks for the info - will study this a while longer and look for some more ideas although yours seems to be a very good one at this time.

best

Back