2 New dewalt with different voltage

itron

10 mW
I got 2 new dewalt packs on ebay (still in the original package). I soldered the discharge wires directly on the battery tabs (bypassing the BMS), I wired them in 2p connecting a fuse and a diode in series on each of them and then rode about 10 Km being careful to not let the voltage drop below 30V, then I charged them with the dewalt charger.

The charger charged them both until the three LEDs were on, but when I checked the voltage on the discharge terminals, I found that one was 36.7V and the other was just 35.7V. I tried to charge the latter a bit further leaving it in the charger for several hours (hoping that it coul be just a matter of balancing the pack) but it stayed at 35.7V.

Anybody has any suggestion? would it be a good idea to remove the diodes and just parallel the packs, so they can balance each other?
Thanks

The voltage between 35v and 37v represent a capacity of few percent only... if you draw few amperes on these pack, the voltage will imediatly drop to 34 or 35v and stay to that voltage. This is not very important. I have some pack with lower voltage after charging and they have a little higher capacity than other with higher voltage after cahrging...

Many people border about these last 35 to 37volts... After many tests, i conclude that it's not enough significant...

Doc

That might help after a while. A few discharges/charges may help too. It takes time for the dewalt charger to work its magic (too much time for too little magic IMO). Checking each cell voltage would show where the problem lies. All 8 packs I bought needed balancing badly when I first got them.
If you have a method of charging individual cells to 3.7v then go through them all once and balance them by hand.

Back